Is my impeller going bad?

I have an ‘05 2-Stroke 50hp. I fired it up for the first time this year tonight. I had a great stream and nice cool water. After about a minute or two, it went down to a trickle. I shut it down and fired it up and the stream was a mediocre one, but the water was super hot! I just bought this boat last year so I don’t know if or when the impeller was changed last. What do you guys think?

2. Member
    I would change it if based only on the fact the motor is 15 years old and you don't know the last time it was changed. No reason to chance melting and engine down.

3. Member
    I’ve never done it before. Is it fairly simple to do for someone with common sense and some mechanical know how? Is there anything else that needs to be replaced with it besides the lower unit oil?

4. Member
    Youtube is your friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    I’ve never done it before. Is it fairly simple to do for someone with common sense and some mechanical know how? Is there anything else that needs to be replaced with it besides the lower unit oil?

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Here is a little older 90HP, but should be very similar. Since you don't know the last time it was changed, I'd get a complete kit and change everything. If your 50HP also has a pressure relief valve, you might consider changing it as well.

I have a Harbor Freight Clamping Table (https://www.harborfreight.com/materi...egs-47844.html) I use to set the LU on with the skeg going in the center than I can clamp the table to hold it upright. You have to remove the prop to do this. Removing the prop also lightens the LU.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 04-02-2020 at 09:48 PM.

6. Member
    Thanks for the help guys!