2017 G2 System Check Tach not working

Guys,

My tach did not work at all last season and this coincides with a Garmin graph installation that I did at the beginning of the season. I cut the existing hole in the dash larger with a jig saw so there's the possibility I killed it with the vibrations from the saw. But, at the same time I connected it to the N2K network to bring in the engine data. The network was installed with the boat so I added a tee and terminator with aa extension cable to the Garmin. I can see all the motor data including the RPM's on my graph but nothing on the analog tach. I think that I disconnected the tach from the network on the water last year but don't know if I pulled the tee off and reinserted the terminator or not. Before I go buying another tach thinking I killed it during the graph installation, I want to be sure that the tach would work with the N2K connection as well.

Are you sure your tach runs off of the N2K. I doubt it is. Check for loose wire or disconnected wires.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    what side mount control do you have - if you have the basic side mount there is a seperate harness for your gauges. I don't believe the system check tach works off of the nema.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    what side mount control do you have - if you have the basic side mount there is a seperate harness for your gauges. I don't believe the system check tach works off of the nema.
    The premium I think. Yea, that makes sense that it doesn't work off the network now that you guys mentioned it.
    At least I can order the replacement with more confidence now, lol.
    Thanks for the help.

20180316_111147 (4).jpg
    Last edited by depdog60; 04-02-2020 at 08:13 PM.

I found out today that the tach does work without the Garmin turned on. Turn the graph back on and no tach.
    The graph is powered separately from a dedicated wire and the I connected the graph by adding a tee and terminator to the backbone that was already under the dash.
    Looking at the picture, the N2K is connected to a D/A converter for the gauges. I connected the graph direct to the Tee that bypasses the D/A and then can only see either signal but not both? Does that makes sense?

Premium Control & Sytemcheck Gauges Schematic.jpg

6. Member
    You added a tee AND a terminator? Should have only 2 term resistors on each end of the nmea trunk.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    You added a tee AND a terminator? Should have only 2 term resistors on each end of the NMEA trunk.
    Thanks Mike. After reading your post I took the graph out b/c I couldn't remember what exactly I did. Apparently I took the tees apart and put the new graph connection (gray tee) in the middle. Not sure why I did this but I did change it by putting the graph connection at the end of the branch, second picture. BTW, the Tee with the gray cable is the one that goes to the D/A converter.
    Graph Tee B4.jpg

Graph Tee After.jpg