Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

You will be crucified for saying so

But does anyone think this response nationwide is not proportional to the statistical dangers of this virus? We are in pure hysteria mode as a country right now but if anyone steps back and rationally thinks about what life will be like economically after this passes it is going to be 100 times worse than the virus. When the numbers shake out I think we will find the actual percent chance of you dying from this will under .5%. Yet the chance of you falling on hard financial times is probably gonna 70-80%. We seem to be dictating policy based on the medical professions opinion alone. Easy for them to say consider they will draw paychecks through this. The caveat is certain areas of the country are probably pretty bad off right now but the other 98% of the country is dealing with little or nothing. So while I get that there is always the anecdotal evidence of a healthy 30-year-old dying or someone you love dying the numbers say you are likely to be just fine after dealing with a couple days of illness. Flame away but itís just been bothering me after seeing several people I know getting fired this week

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    seeing several people I know getting fired this week
    And they are still alive ? Are you comparing dead with money to alive but broke?
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    How many people would have to die to justify it?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Here we go again.

5. Member
    We have enough factual data now to know that this is not overblown.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    But does anyone think this response nationwide is not proportional to the statistical dangers of this virus? We are in pure hysteria mode as a country right now but if anyone steps back and rationally thinks about what life will be like economically after this passes it is going to be 100 times worse than the virus. When the numbers shake out I think we will find the actual percent chance of you dying from this will under .5%. Yet the chance of you falling on hard financial times is probably gonna 70-80%. We seem to be dictating policy based on the medical professions opinion alone. Easy for them to say consider they will draw paychecks through this. The caveat is certain areas of the country are probably pretty bad off right now but the other 98% of the country is dealing with little or nothing. So while I get that there is always the anecdotal evidence of a healthy 30-year-old dying or someone you love dying the numbers say you are likely to be just fine after dealing with a couple days of illness. Flame away but it’s just been bothering me after seeing several people I know getting fired this week
    Totally agree

7. Member
    This is what I have been saying from the start but what can be done about it? I guess maybe a point in time will come and people will just revolt and ignore the mandates and try and start getting this Country back in order.

8. Member
    I don't know. Check back with me June 1st.
    Most problems aren't rocket science but when they are listen to the rocket scientists.
    - - Scott Kelly, Astronaut

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by #1MagicStick View Post
    This is what I have been saying from the start but what can be done about it? I guess maybe a point in time will come and people will just revolt and ignore the mandates and try and start getting this Country back in order.
    That's funny. I hope you are wrong.
    GETFISHED !!!

There is a tipping point where the cure is worse than the disease. I am not smart enough to tell where that tipping point is but that does not mean it does not exist.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    That's funny. I hope you are wrong.
    So you just want to keep on track for a depression and who knows whatever else this situation will spin into?

So you open the country back up again. The virus spreads much faster, many thousands of elderly die. Many under 50 die. Many more die than would have if everyone kept doing what they're doing.
    Workers at pretty well all companies catch the virus and at the very least are off sick for quite some time and businesses fold because they have no staff.
    Start back up having concerts, football/basketball games and other events with large crowds and many get sick, many die.

Open the country back up and this virus isn't just going to disappear in a week or two, there's no telling how many months (or years) it could remain.

13. Member
    I’m not smart enough to agree or disagree. I think more about the economic impact, than the mortality rate based on the data and my situation. Retired folk or those with stable livelihoods may think opposite of me. Doesn’t make either of us wrong.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

How did you come up with .5%

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    And they are still alive ? Are you comparing dead with money to alive but broke?
    Responses like this are why it can not even be discussed.
    Loctite

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    So you open the country back up again. The virus spreads much faster, many thousands of elderly die. Many under 50 die. Many more die than would have if everyone kept doing what they're doing.
    Workers at pretty well all companies catch the virus and at the very least are off sick for quite some time and businesses fold because they have no staff.
    Start back up having concerts, football/basketball games and other events with large crowds and many get sick, many die.

Open the country back up and this virus isn't just going to disappear in a week or two, there's no telling how many months (or years) it could remain.
    In a sense Al I think that is what many people ares tarting to realize....it simply is not possible to keep the country locked down and economy in handcuffs for months on end and expect there to be anything left to return to. All that time we are shut down the virus is still here and present in the world. Some people are starting to feel like they are losing everything and will still have the reality of getting the virus months or years from now.
    I am all for saving lives and have devoted my career to trying to help others and maybe get lucky enough and be part of saving a life or two but as time passes I constantly see "expert" opinions change back and forth and I cannot feel confident that we are on the right path using our current methods here in the US. We cannot even get our very own task force to agree on things. One is constantly contradicting another. I seriously am confused and concerned as if we are on the right path here at all. I am concerned we will have not changed much except destroy our economy and still have to face COVID concerns.
    Just my thoughts, not trying to stir it up or cause issues. Its just a frustrating time for all I think no matter the opinion.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    How did you come up with .5%
    i’m guessing like everyone else who puts out a number at this point. But I’ve seen as high as 2% and around .3% but I think once the dust settles it’s probably somewhere under a percent. My ER doctor buddy has been told that the test are only about 60% accurate so in theory thousands who have negatives are actually positive and many many many more have had it and not been tested. So that is good news. The death rate is probably well lower than any published rate we have.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post

Al gets it
    exponential spread look it up and look at the numbers happening in front of ya.

To the OP, would you feel differently if you could choose between country getting going again and it taking your father and all
    your grandmas and grandpas or staying away from other people for 2 months and your family lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    In a sense Al I think that is what many people ares tarting to realize....it simply is not possible to keep the country locked down and economy in handcuffs for months on end and expect there to be anything left to return to. All that time we are shut down the virus is still here and present in the world. Some people are starting to feel like they are losing everything and will still have the reality of getting the virus months or years from now.
    I am all for saving lives and have devoted my career to trying to help others and maybe get lucky enough and be part of saving a life or two but as time passes I constantly see "expert" opinions change back and forth and I cannot feel confident that we are on the right path using our current methods here in the US. We cannot even get our very own task force to agree on things. One is constantly contradicting another. I seriously am confused and concerned as if we are on the right path here at all. I am concerned we will have not changed much except destroy our economy and still have to face COVID concerns.
    Just my thoughts, not trying to stir it up or cause issues. Its just a frustrating time for all I think no matter the opinion.
    It's definitely a very frustrating and confusing time.

There is a video out there of Dr. Fauci being interviewed in 2009 about the h1n1 and he said that people should practice good hygiene because itís not feasible to shut everything down for the entire flu season. I wonder what changed his mind 11 years later?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast