This Explains my water pressure issue

200 merc pro xs 2N695171. Well since the boat has been new when we got it dec 2019 the water pressure has always seemed low to me would rarely be above 2.5 psi at idle and fluctuated alot. Well had it out yesterday and all the sudden idle psi was .5-1.2 so we loaded up and today dropped the gearcase and when i pulled the water pump housing off found the impeller like this relieved that i found the source but annoyed at the same time. But at least it was a simple fix.
    44C4B7AB-241F-4C1B-9D99-7FD46BFBAE24.jpeg
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    Do you have any idea what caused that Roy?

Did not happen to crank engine with hose attached to flushing port?

I have never seen that on a new engine before.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Installation error is my guess. Its like they didnt rotate the shaft while sliding the housing over the impeller and just shoved it on. Never cranked over dry or backflushing. Ive changed alot of these and just lube it with dish soap and rotate the shaft and it slides right over it. Im just glad it was something obvious causing the low pressure its good now.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Member
    Thank you for the response. This morning I read your post on the Triton forum.

Me having the same Mercury engine as you, got my attention in case the same thing were to happen.

So so far my water pressure is good.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    More than likely the engine rolled backwards on shutdown at some point, perhaps even recently. It happens a lot more than one would think- just doesn't always cause a problem.

Be sure to replace the impeller (43026T2) and the upper gasket (8172771). DAWN DISH SOAP as lubricant for the impeller.

Good catch- has amazed me that the recommended interval suddenly jumped to "3 years/300 hours" (though this isn't the first, second or third time Mercury has flip-flopped on the interval of the exact same part number impeller/housing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Got the kit from you Don so i knew i got the right one lol. I just replaced everything as i would for my annual which this one will get a new water pump every year. Only thing i can thing of when you say turned backwards for some very odd reason the sales manager at my dealer walks up and dry fires the engine and shuts it down real quick idk why the hell he did that but i wasnt happy about it. Been in the back of my mind ever since because the water pressure has never been right. They are 3.5 hrs away so i wasnt gonna take it back there. Honestly the new electric shift actuator makes it easier to line everything back up with the single slot. I liked that part. Also Don for next time there were 2 thin silicone seals that bridged across the front section of the gearcase and the exhaust. They were fine so i re used them but next time would a bead of silicone like the optis be ok?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those seals should hold up for a LONG time (and they are replaceable). Probably wouldn't hurt anything to use silicone, other than the seal itself.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Good catch! I can’t believe the guy fired the motor dry, what an idiot!
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

Sounds like the sales manager needs to stick to sales and stay out of the shop area

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Those seals should hold up for a LONG time (and they are replaceable). Probably wouldn't hurt anything to use silicone, other than the seal itself.
    Ok good to know. You sell those Don? Ill get some to have on hand next time i make an order if you do.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Yea i wasnt too thrilled when be did it. Doesnt seem like a good idea for a dealer to be doing stuff like that but its fine. Pretty much only dealer around here that sells boats like mine so kindof stuck. Alot of guys praise them i dont have too much good to say but thats a different subject.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Yea i wasnt too thrilled when be did it. Doesnt seem like a good idea for a dealer to be doing stuff like that but its fine. Pretty much only dealer around here that sells boats like mine so kindof stuck. Alot of guys praise them i dont have too much good to say but thats a different subject.
    That dealer has both their locations up for sale.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Ok good to know. You sell those Don? Ill get some to have on hand next time i make an order if you do.
    Of course- although we've not yet had the need to order one.

Perfect thank you. Im weird i like to have stuff in stock just in case lol
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.