Thread: HDS Gen 3

HDS Gen 3

Just picked up a used Gen 3 with an HDI skimmer transducer. Will I be able to get side imaging on this unit, or is it just down imaging? If not, I'm wondering if my older LSS1 transducer and box will work with it. Thanks for any advice.

2. Scraps
    No side imaging with HDI. Need the LSS for side scan.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Your Gen 3 is capable of SideScan, with a compatible transducer.
    You can use your LSS-1. If you plug it in the unit, it should work OK regardless of softwareversion on the HDS. If you wish to use the module (or in any other way network the Gen 3 to other older modules or HDS-units) make sure NOT to upgrade the HDS Gen 3 past SW 7.0.
    You can also use LSS-2, TotalSCan or StructureScan 3D with your Gen 3.

4. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Your Gen 3 is capable of SideScan, with a compatible transducer.
    You can use your LSS-1. If you plug it in the unit, it should work OK regardless of softwareversion on the HDS. If you wish to use the module (or in any other way network the Gen 3 to other older modules or HDS-units) make sure NOT to upgrade the HDS Gen 3 past SW 7.0.
    You can also use LSS-2, TotalSCan or StructureScan 3D with your Gen 3.
    I think I've asked this question before, with Gen 3 units and LSS2, is there any advantage in image quality in going Totalscan or Structure Scan???? I'm not real happy with my SI pics.
    2017 Phoenix 819

5. Member
    Side scan is better with the LSS-2 over the 1, but the LSS-1 had a better down imaging. At least that was my opinon after using the two. Best image for Gen 3 would be the 3D
    Last edited by LainTx; 04-03-2020 at 09:35 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I think I've asked this question before, with Gen 3 units and LSS2, is there any advantage in image quality in going Totalscan or Structure Scan???? I'm not real happy with my SI pics.
    No.
    Your best option with Gen 3 is StructureScan 3D.
    A not quite as good, but cheaper, option is to perfect the mounting and adjustement for your LSS-2. Post a few screenshots to share what you are seeing as well.

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    No.
    Your best option with Gen 3 is StructureScan 3D.
    A not quite as good, but cheaper, option is to perfect the mounting and adjustement for your LSS-2. Post a few screenshots to share what you are seeing as well.
    I will, soon as I can get out. I've already leveled the transducer shield on my jackplate. Could very well be my settings are not perfected.
    2017 Phoenix 819