Ranger Trail Bunk/Fender Hot Mess

Hi all,

I know there is a thread specifically for trailers, but the fenders on my trailer are a hot mess with the gel coat. I hate to lose the metal flake to match the boat, but it's looking like I'll be painting them. Has anyone use the rattle can method? What about UPOL?

Looking for economical ideas and pics of how yours turned out.

Thanks.

2. Member
    I’ve seen some threads where guys repainted with plasti-dip or some bed liner type stuff,it didn’t look too bad.

Rattle Can paint usually will not hold up long when left in the sun. If you can find some Epoxy Paint, it holds up somewhat better. I'd take them off and go to a Body shop and get them painted a solid color. Did mine in solid Black, boat is white with blue ribbons. Actually looks pretty good !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    That does look really good. I've got to get that black rubber tread stuff off first. It's half way off, but the glue is some tough stuff where it hasn't peeled off yet. I think I'm going to take them off and take care of them that way. I Raptor Lined my truck bed and I think I like the way that looks. I'm giving up on keeping the red flake. I tried to wet sand and polish a section today and it looks a little better, but still not very good.

5. Member
    I'm in the same situation but I don't have the step built in. Hate not having them but that looks pretty darn good to me. Two other things. 1. did that ladder come from the factory if not what brand is it, and 2. I'm a jig guy. Tell me about the pepper jigs. Not familiar with them. I guess before someone hatches something for wandering of the subject please pm me about the jigs.

I have done them a few ways to keep the flake.
    If the flake is not gone and just the top clear coat, I sanded and applied a few coats of clear gel coat, wet sand and buff.
    I redid a set with automotive paint to match factory. sand, primer, base coat, mix flake with clear, few coats of just clear, wet sand and buff.

Basically quite a few options will work if you just want to paint..... rattle can, bed liner, almost any paint.

7. Member
    Check w/ your Ranger dealer and find out who in your area is the Authorized Ranger Gel Coat repair guy.
    Mine happens to be a local Truck Body Repair shop.
    His rates are pretty good, probably not much worse than any body shop, and he has access to the actual ranger PolyFlake...I see him repairing Boats and Fenders all the time.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D