cant get lower unit back on

I have an optimax 225 3L DFI engine and I replaced the seals in the lower unit. I watched a video where the guy said to put the boat in reverse before removing the unit so when I put it back if the gears didnt line up I could simply turn the prop shaft until they do. My problem is when I went to put it on the prop shaft turns but the drive shaft doesnt. The drive shaft is locked so I assume it's in reverse, but for some reason the prop shaft just turns. I never accessed the gear box, I just replaced the seals. So now I want to put the drive shaft into neutral so I can align the splines because I am not able to even get it close to engaging. In fact, the 4 bolts that hold it on dont even enter the holes in the housing. I am meeting resistance right where those bolts touch the housing and its not because the holes dont line up. I checked. Is there a way to disengage the drive shaft without having the unit installed?

2. Member
    Never mind. I got it.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

I would strongly recommend you AVOID "tube" videos as your repair or maintenance guide. Many of them (like this one) are riddled with silly (and sometimes costly) errors.

It sounds like your gearcase is in NEUTRAL (which would have been a good position to remove the gearcase in). Confirm this by turning the propshaft in both directions- it should not "engage".

If your results match: Turn KEY OFF, and REMOVE LANYARD. Disconnect spark plug wires.

PLACE CONTROL HANDLE IN NEUTRAL.

Have a friend assist with a 15/16" socket and ratchet, turning the flywheel CLOCKWISE while you try to index driveshaft up into the crank.

Also- be sure to "steer" the shift shaft into the coupler (it may be necessary to wiggle the shifter slightly since you weren't in neutral to start with).

If you are successful- torque the 4 nuts (and the one bolt under the anode plate) to 55 lbs/ft and complete your assembly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor