22SF Livewell System

I know not many out there have a 22SF. However, i wanted to post some things about the livewell system for guidance. The live well system was supposed to have been designed by professional saltwater fisherman advice to Bullet design department. I only rarely fish saltwater but wanted to post my experiences to help others decide on solutions.

First. The live well system has a valve for each compartment. It is located in the rear center compartment, near the motor . These valves must be opened to allow water to enter the compartment. If they are opened, water will enter the compartment while the boat is on plane, filling it up and possibly allowing water to drain over the lids. I installed new latches, from Bullet, and 3M seal around the compartment lids. This stops the driver from getting soaked from over flow. Evidently, salt water foams during recirculate. So new water must be pumped in to continue flow of Oxygenated water.

Issue: If you leave the valves open all the time as advised, eventually all the water will drain out of the compartment killing all of your fish. The only solution I have found is to allow the compartment to fill then close the valves.

Second: Filling the live well compartment manually , with fresh water, then closing the valve will solve the issue with water draining out while stopped.

Issue: The compartment has some sort of overflow valve about 2/3 of the way to full. Each time the boat takes off to get on plane, nearly half of the water drains out. At the next stopping point, the live well will need to be refilled to adequate levels. Of course, this will require crawling back on your belly to reach down and open the valves, then closing them again prior to fishing.

Third: DO NOT USE THE PLUGS PROVIDED BY BULLET TO PLUG THE DRAIN HOLES!!!!

Issue: Plugs will pop out EVERY time live well is full and fish are inside. Not sure if they bang on the tabs or if they are just not adequate to stay in. Replace with a twist to tighten drain plug. Just had 16lb limit of bass STONE DEAD after a 15 min rough ride to the scales this past saturday. SInce i dont fish many tournaments now, i discovered this the hard way last weekend.

I am looking for advice from anyone familiar with this system. In my opinion, after 20 years of prior boat ownership and tournament fishing, this is very poorly thought out design. Anything I am doing wrong, please let me know. I dont see how a saltwater competitor could get a redfish to survive for any amount of time using this. Especially with a 100 mile ride on rough bays back to the ramp.

Seems like some sort of hybrid system based on the normal freshwater boat system could have been a better design.

Thanks
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

Well, i tried several options on the livewell system this past weekend. Best one seems to be to leave the valves open with a screw in drain plug. This will let plenty of water in while running. IN fact, so much water that it will over flow around the lid every time you run. Gives the fish plenty of water while hitting waves and running on pad. Then when you stop, just take a quick minute to lie on your belly and close the valves in the back compartment. Then when you are ready to move again, just crawl down and open the valves. Repeat each time you stop. Easy right? Genius design!
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

3. Member
    One of the guys local to me has none of the issues you do.
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

4. Member
    pickup.jpg

Do you have something like this on your transom for the livewell intakes? Remove them and should cure your issue. Only thing is then you can't fill the livewells while running.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    pickup.jpg

Do you have something like this on your transom for the livewell intakes? Remove them and should cure your issue. Only thing is then you can't fill the livewells while running.
    Well, the main issue is "keeping" water in the livewell. Half of it drains out when i take off with closed valves. I do have intakes on transom.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

Quote Originally Posted by IndianOutlaw! View Post
    One of the guys local to me has none of the issues you do.
    The main reason i started this thread was hoping someone would explain how to "properly" use the system. From my conversations with Teresa or Tom at Bullet, i have not gotten anywhere. I dont know if its because they havent actually used it on the water, or if i am missing something on operation.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

7. Member
    So with the high speed pickups the water will fill back up. Not understanding the problem

So with the high speed pickups the water will fill back up. Not understanding the problem
    Ok, no disrespect intended, but did you carefully read my original post? Of course water flows in and fills up the livewells. I also posted the issues if valves are left open , along with the issue of closing them each time i stop. Can you ask your buddy what his procedures are when tournament fishing with his 22SF? This livewell system is by far the worst design i have ever tried to use. However, i do not have much experience with livewells in flats boats. This may be my inexperience on operation. I have tried every combination i can think of. Surely a person doesnt have to resort to constantly opening and closing the valves all day long just to keep water in the wells.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

9. Member
    I read your post, I just don’t understand your issue. I understand exactly how your wells work just like many saltwater boats. I’m just having trouble figuring out why you can’t get it.

I read your post, I just don’t understand your issue. I understand exactly how your wells work just like many saltwater boats. I’m just having trouble figuring out why you can’t get it.
    Ok then, i am having trouble understanding why its so hard for you to explain the process of using the saltwater livewells. Seems like its pretty easy to see thats the question i am asking in the first place. Why not just explain, instead of wondering why "i dont get it".
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

HOW DOES A SALTWATER REDFISH COMPETITOR USE THEIR LIVEWELL SYSTEM? STEP BY STEP PLEASE. Evidently "i dont understand" the simplicity of it.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Designed by Professional Saltwater Fisherman

Should have opted for the single 36x30x10 livewell system designed by a professional bass fisherman

check to see if there is another shut off valve where there water enters the livewell from the refill while running tube(inside the live well cavity)...

Sterling Bass boats have this feature as well and prior to closing that "running fill " feature, it would over flow your well and kill fish...
    once i closed this and started operating the wells like NORMAL with a simple, FILL then turn to AUTO aerate, i have had ZERO issues..
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    Designed by Professional Saltwater Fisherman

Should have opted for the single 36x30x10 livewell system designed by a professional bass fisherman
    Should i ever buy another boat, it WILL NOT have this type of system. I will go with a freshwater , tried and true system as you advise.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    check to see if there is another shut off valve where there water enters the livewell from the refill while running tube(inside the live well cavity)...

Sterling Bass boats have this feature as well and prior to closing that "running fill " feature, it would over flow your well and kill fish...
    once i closed this and started operating the wells like NORMAL with a simple, FILL then turn to AUTO aerate, i have had ZERO issues..
    As far as i know, there is not another valve. This is why i posted this, hoping to discover something i missed. Thanks
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752