Thread: Boat Lighting

Boat Lighting

Alright guys wanting to add led lights to my boat. Triton 21x2. Wanting to add white to both rod boxes, both center boxes, both rear boxes and battery compartment. Want to add cool white under each console.Then red on rear deck and front deck. I currently have two accessory switches. Will these be enough to handle the draw of the led strips? Also I’ve seen where they now have magnetic strips for the boxes that turn the lights on when the boxes are opened. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Still not sure how I’ll run the wires for all of this so any insight is greatly welcomed!
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

I guess I’m ol school but prefer a switch for each individual compartment or have all compartments on one switch at console. Deck lights on another switch with dimmer at console. Under console lights on a switch at console. You won’t have any issues adding LEDs to existing wiring/switches....we’re talking milliamps. I use fish tapes and fish sticks to pull wire. I sell and install BlueWaters so I’m partial to that brand. Great warranty and a board sponsor.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    I'd go red or green lights, not white, to help preserve night vision.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

4. Member
    A tip for compartment lights.. Put them facing away from you when you open the lids. If you put them facing you, they kinda blind you.

5. Member
    I put all of the compartment lights on one accessory switch, white. I put all of the above deck lights on second switch with red lights. I put a white livewell light under each console on a third switch so you can sit at the console and tie lines between your legs without the light being in your eyes. Hope that makes sense. I used Bluewater LEDs for everything about 8 years ago and have been happy with no issues to speak of.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

6. Member
    You can use the existing compartment lights as a switch as well that way each compartment has its own switch. I replaced all the stock bulbs with LED bulbs and added strip lighting to my middle compartment. Just have to drill a small hole in the light fixture/lens to run wire for the new lights and then splice into the existing wires post switch.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

7. Member
    For your deck lights, check out Oznium Bolts. Small, bright and hardly noticeable.

8. Member
    i ran my compartment lights off an accessory switch....tapped into the courtesy switch for my cockpit lights, and ran a wire from the battery on its own circuit into a dimmer switch from bluewater for the deck lights....worked out perfect!!