2008 VZ225 tilt mounting ?

I noticed some odd movement and groaning in my motor/tilt assy when I tilted the motor up on the trailer in my garage. I started looking for the problem and discovered that the right side bolt was missing out of the starboard end of the pivot rod on the lower pivot of the tilt/trim assy and the rod had slipped to the port side about an inch and was binding the tilt a little.

So, I ordered 2 ea. of parts 31, 32, & 34 from the parts diagram below so that I could fix the problem.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/yp/TR2...tlr-2008-225hpordered

When I got the parts, the bolts are 10mm bolts and the threaded holes that they screw into are 8mm. Also, their is no gap between the cross shaft and the housing for the bushings. The cross shaft appears to be a machined fit.

The threaded holes in the cross shaft on my t/t are 8mm and there is no space at all for a bushing between that rod and the housing. It seemed to me that it just needed a washer on both ends big enough to prevent the shaft from coming out of the machined hole, a lock washer, and a new bolt on each side.

Two questions:

1. Do I just have a different version of the t/t assy and all is good with the washer/ lock washer/ bolt (This is what I did to fix it so far and the t/t seems to operate very smoothly doing it this way)

2. When the motor is tilted up and down, does the t/t assy pivot on the center of the lower cross shaft (item 33 in diagram above) or does the shaft pivot in the frame of the t/t. If it is the latter, then I would think it needs a bushing to pivot on, but there is absolutely no space around my cross shaft to install a bushing, it appears to be a machined fit.

Wayne

2. Member
    If you can bring up a diagram on line you will find there are bushings on the inside of the mount housing I have an 06 225 and just replaced mine. When you get them you will be surprised because they are thin plastic but work really good. It just takes a little time and patience to replace them

3. Member
    Elmer, is there a diagram that is different than the one I posted above. The only bushings I can find are in the TOP pivot of the tilt ram. There are 4 of them. Two are in the top eye of the ram and two are in the housing where the pivot pin goes through the top eye of the ram. They are very thin white plastic pieces. Those I have already replaced and that is NOT what I am inquiring about.

I am concerned with the lower pivot shaft of the tilt /trim assembly. Mine appears that it does not use any bushings and I am just trying to make sure I am not missing something since I cannot find a drawing anywhere that appears to be like the one I have. I ordered the parts on the drawing that I can find and they do not fit. Bolts are 10mm, my assembly has 8mm threaded holes, so bolts are too big. Drawing shows same part number used in the top ram eye qty (4) and bottom pivot shaft qty 2 for a total of 6 ea. part number 90386-2298M-00. The two lower ones will not fit in my t/t assy.

I am at a loss as to why mine is different than the drawing.

Wayne

4. Member
    I Got My Bushings at my dealer. I Have a repair manual that I looked at. I will try to post a picture of it For you

5. Member
    I Just Tried to upload the Picture And it is Too Big. What I Did was Do A search for HPDI tilt and trim and it shows up. The diagram I was looking at was one from The Hull Truth and it was Clear what it showed

6. Member
    Yes, Sir. I actually have a Yamaha Shop Manual for this motor. The picture it shows in the shop manual plainly has bushings in the lower eye of the tilt ram with a snap ring holding the shaft in place on the port end of the shaft. Mine is made completely different than that. My cross shaft has no groove for a snap ring and instead has an 8mm threaded hole for a bolt with a big washer on both ends.

I am going to call Sim Yamaha tomorrow and see if I can talk to a tech there. There is also another company called Hydra Sports or something like that that I may also call to try to understand what is different about the tilt/trim unit that is on my motor.

Thanks you for your help.

Wayne

7. Member
    My 225 is the same With the 2 bolts Once you Take the bolts out. Make sure you have the motor on the flip down carrier so it won't come down on you and loosen the bleed valve to ease the pressure once you Take the bolts out you can slide the pivot out then you will have to work the bottom out of the way so you can get the old bushings out and new ones in like I Said It is a bugger to do but it will work just takes patience

8. Member
    Elmer, thanks, I am going to take it back apart. I already have the bushings that are on the drawing, so all I will have invested is a little time. Once I get the bushings replaced, I am going to blue loctite the bolts so that they don't come out again. That is how all this got started in the first place, one of the bolts came out and the other one was hand tight.

Wayne