Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cedar for bunk boards

Does anybody use cedar for replacement bunk boards on their trailer or is there a better option for wooden bunks. I do want to stay with wood and carpet

Never tried it --- most use pressure treated.. but you need to be picky when buying.
    I've had good luck by picking good straight boards with the fewest knots that are still a little wet. When I get them home will C-clamp them all together, lay on a flat surface with some weight to dry. If one warps it will do it then.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Cedar is not as strong as other options. Bends easier and tends to want to check. Also tends to be a little bit brittle when drilling and cutting.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I work with wood for a living and the only wood I would use other than Pressure Treated Pine would be Old Growth Cypress, and 4 pcs. of that would probably be over $600. PT is what I used when I redid mine.

5. mikesxpress
    KDAT lumber

I used cypress the last timeI replaced bunk boards. It was not much more than PT wood at Lowes but it was SIGNIFICANTLY better quality. Knots are weak points so you want to get a straight board with as few as possible.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Scraps
    Cedar, pretty soft and not as schtrong as yellow pine pressure treated. Don't complicate this.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Pressure treated wood is corrosive. Read below or any of the thousands of Google results/articles.
    https://8pointshome.com/modern-press...ber-corrosive/

Southern Yellow Pine is more than sufficient, no pressure treatment needed.

9. Member
    My 2002 Magic Tilt trailer came with Cypress bunks, still going strong.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

10. Banned
    Especially don't use pressure treated if you have an aluminum boat. If will eat holes in the boat. I used pine and it has outlasted the originals. Be sure to leave the carpet open on the bottom so it can drain.

11. Scraps
    Forget whjat I used, if it was PT or pine that I painted. I painted whatever I used I know that and then added gatorbaks. They're still on there.
    2017 Phoenix 819

Hey everybody. Thanks for the help, I have a 4 bunk trailer, the 2 outer shorter bunks needed new carpet. I replaced the 2x6 with cedar and installed. As i looked at the trailer my long bunks and carpet they looked good yet but when I do replace I may need a stronger wood than cedar. Thanks again, always something to learn on these forums.

13. Member
    In the process of replacing bunks now and putting in gatorbaks. Talked to the local lumber yard and they recommended 0.60 pressure treated 2x6. It’s direct contact/foundation rated. Planning to install the gatorbaks and swap them on the trailer in the next couple weeks.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

14. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    In the process of replacing bunks now and putting in gatorbaks. Talked to the local lumber yard and they recommended 0.60 pressure treated 2x6. It’s direct contact/foundation rated. Planning to install the gatorbaks and swap them on the trailer in the next couple weeks.
    This is how i did it, prepped the boards and mounted the g-baks to the boards. Went to the lake, dunked the boat, removed old bunks, installed new, done. Cut up the old bunk boards. Cordless impact driver made it go easy.
    2017 Phoenix 819

15. Member
    cypress is good but if you don't live in GA, Florida or Lousianna hard to get. I got some on my way down to Okeechobee about 3 years ago.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

16. Member
    I’m new here and realize this is an “old/inactive” thread BUT wanted to throw in my 2 cents of actual experience just in case the question/discussion ever comes up again. Whenever I buy a new “used” boat I always overhaul the trailer for peace of mind. For bunks I use only 2x6 (1.5” x 5.5”) western red cedar laminated to 0.75” x 5.5” pvc board. I laminate the cedar and pvc with “Liquid Nails Extreme” and “Cortex” screws/plugs. Cedar gets two coats of linseed oil (optional). The boards are fastened to the bunk brackets with counter sunk torque washers and galvanized carriage bolts. Counter sunk hole is filled with marine epoxy. They won’t be scratching the bottom or floating away. My 18’ Lowe Roughneck (65/90 jet) slides on and off with incredible ease. One person loading/unloading is so fast and simple. I use common sense on steep ramps (I have a boat on a roller trailer too). Virtually no flex in the boards and the red cedar/pvc will be 100% functional for decades. It’s much cheaper and just as good as the “Ultimate” option plus I enjoy the satisfaction of making my own custom bunks. Btw, I’m a retired professional forester, managed several sawmills, and worked with every commercial lumber species in North America and many from overseas. I know the pros/cons of cedar, cypress, pine, oak, and a lot of other species and western red cedar/pvc board is my first choice for trailer bunks that’ll be under boats less than 20’ long.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Iammichael6499 View Post
    I’m new here and realize this is an “old/inactive” thread BUT wanted to throw in my 2 cents of actual experience just in case the question/discussion ever comes up again. Whenever I buy a new “used” boat I always overhaul the trailer for peace of mind. For bunks I use only 2x6 (1.5” x 5.5”) western red cedar laminated to 0.75” x 5.5” pvc board. I laminate the cedar and pvc with “Liquid Nails Extreme” and “Cortex” screws/plugs. Cedar gets two coats of linseed oil (optional). The boards are fastened to the bunk brackets with counter sunk torque washers and galvanized carriage bolts. Counter sunk hole is filled with marine epoxy. They won’t be scratching the bottom or floating away. My 18’ Lowe Roughneck (65/90 jet) slides on and off with incredible ease. One person loading/unloading is so fast and simple. I use common sense on steep ramps (I have a boat on a roller trailer too). Virtually no flex in the boards and the red cedar/pvc will be 100% functional for decades. It’s much cheaper and just as good as the “Ultimate” option plus I enjoy the satisfaction of making my own custom bunks. Btw, I’m a retired professional forester, managed several sawmills, and worked with every commercial lumber species in North America and many from overseas. I know the pros/cons of cedar, cypress, pine, oak, and a lot of other species and western red cedar/pvc board is my first choice for trailer bunks that’ll be under boats less than 20’ long.
    What is PVC board?

18. Member
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-Ac...ard/1000444033

Basically it is plastic that is sized just like lumber.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

19. Member
    I don't think PCV board will support anything if there is over 16 inches between undersupports. Too flexible.
    I just put Gatorback over my old boards, they were treated and kind of soft on the surface. I need new ones, just didn't have them on hand, I'll change them later and put the 'Back on them.

20. Member
    I also deal in and work with lumber. I had some 2" thick mohogany and used it. Sure was had to cover up that pretty wood with carpet. Should outlast me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast