Quote Originally Posted by Iammichael6499 View Post
I’m new here and realize this is an “old/inactive” thread BUT wanted to throw in my 2 cents of actual experience just in case the question/discussion ever comes up again. Whenever I buy a new “used” boat I always overhaul the trailer for peace of mind. For bunks I use only 2x6 (1.5” x 5.5”) western red cedar laminated to 0.75” x 5.5” pvc board. I laminate the cedar and pvc with “Liquid Nails Extreme” and “Cortex” screws/plugs. Cedar gets two coats of linseed oil (optional). The boards are fastened to the bunk brackets with counter sunk torque washers and galvanized carriage bolts. Counter sunk hole is filled with marine epoxy. They won’t be scratching the bottom or floating away. My 18’ Lowe Roughneck (65/90 jet) slides on and off with incredible ease. One person loading/unloading is so fast and simple. I use common sense on steep ramps (I have a boat on a roller trailer too). Virtually no flex in the boards and the red cedar/pvc will be 100% functional for decades. It’s much cheaper and just as good as the “Ultimate” option plus I enjoy the satisfaction of making my own custom bunks. Btw, I’m a retired professional forester, managed several sawmills, and worked with every commercial lumber species in North America and many from overseas. I know the pros/cons of cedar, cypress, pine, oak, and a lot of other species and western red cedar/pvc board is my first choice for trailer bunks that’ll be under boats less than 20’ long.
I like the idea you’re using for bunks. Any thoughts on using spruce?