Steering Squeaky

When I turn my steering to the left it squeaks, its the cable steering. The sound is coming from the helm/steering wheel. Anyone know what I can do to fix it? Hopefully its just in need of some lubricating.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

2. Member
    Think I answered this on BBC, but here goes again...

First, the helm should be full of grease. The pinion gear from the wheel shaft rides on the rack on the end of a cable (two gears, two racks normally). You can take the back off of this thing and look to verify it still has grease that looks normal rather than dried out.

Second, about the only other option is to examine the wheel side. The shaft has a bearing that might have somehow dried out and started squeaking. Or the wheel itself could be contacting the helm and producing a squeak there.

When you say "squeaks when turning left" are you talking about in the driveway, or while running pretty hard so there is a lot of torque on the wheel. If in the driveway, it ought to be easy to track it down. If it is squeaking at 60+, might be harder to hear where it is coming from.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200