Hotfoot restoration

Anyone take a hotfoot apart? Mine has a lot of corrosion on it. Want to disassemble and clean it. The bolt holding the throttle cable broke as I was removing it. It seemed like it was bent. Any tricks for the rest of the bolts? Heat?

2. Member
    With a steel bolt in aluminum, cold is just as good a heat. Try putting some crushed ice in a baggy around the stuck part for 10 minutes...it should turn right out.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

3. Moderator
    Thanks, i'll give it a try.

4. Member
    Following! I was just working on the same project. Mine too is a corroded and needs a good once over. I didn't want to take mine out if I didn't have to, maybe eventually I will dis-assemble and paint.

So far I used "Brasso" metal cleaner and a wire brush, which really helped. Pain crawling under the console and you can get ever crack, but it made it a ton better. Then I just hit it with a power washer. I also ordered a "Cool Foot" pad for cosmetic and I'm a sandal/ barefoot guy in the summer.

I prolly would buy a new one and send it off for powder coating. Once it has started corroding, it can be blasted but in most cases the corrosion may be deep and can’t be completely blasted away...?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Moderator
    Tried everything to get broken bolt out, heat and freeze and nothing has worked. Don't know if I want to disassemble in fear of breaking bolts.

7. Moderator
    Thought about buying new and having it powder coated but money is tight with work shutting down.

8. Member
    Spray it occasionally with WD-40 for prevention. There should only be stainless hardware and such on it. I treat mine to a blast every couple years. What does seem to help is cleaning the crap out of it that falls on the floor.

9. Member
    In case you didn't notice it, there is a nut on the inside of spring and throttle cable that has to be loosened first, before the bolt. That nut acts like a lock washer to keep the bolt from loosening out by mistake...Also try giving the bolt a sharp blow with hammer on the end to break it free??
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

10. Moderator
    I loosened that nut first. I will drill out the broken bolt and use an easy out. May just keep it together and clean the best I can and reinstall.

11. Member

Nice...more time there than most would think.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    Thanks, yes it was!

14. Moderator
    Ended up buying new from a board member.

15. Member
    I have a new one out of box with a slide plate that I'll sell. It didn't work out for a restoration project I'm doing. Text in the morning if your interested. 231-342-2140

16. Moderator
    Thanks for the offer but already bought one.