Evinrude trolling motor shock cable adjustment

I recently broke the shock absorber cable on my Evinrude TM. Replaced with a spare but not sure how tight it should be. Anyone with experience with it?

2. Member
    Model number? On the boat or off the boat?
    Last edited by 316jughead; 04-02-2020 at 03:30 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I've run an Evinrude trolling motor since 1980, I have broke just about every thing that can be broke on one. I would like spot lock, but my Evinrude will just have to do. I hope he got the cable adjusted right because that is what breaks them.

4. Member
    BFL4TPP 98..........24 volt

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    BFL4TPP 98..........24 volt
    this is high thrust model. Pulls my boat 2.07 mph. Best motor out there. Wish I could find some brushes for it.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check this link to Crowley marine they have two models listed, although they don't have any in stock click on check nationwide there are some out there. https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnso...cfm?mdl=SA2FU4

7. Member
    To adjust the cable. Remove the motor shaft from the motor tube bracket, install the cable with the cable bullet in the place for it, place a washer and nut on each end of the cable, adjust both nuts equally to about 50 inch pounds. The idea here is to have about the same amount of threads showing on each cable end. Install the motor tube in the bracket, lower motor and then raise it up, with prop facing down, until the motor housing touches the point on the motor rest flapper, measure the distance from that point to the motor seam close to the prop, it must be 1 5/8 to 1 7/8 inches. If that distance is less than 1 5/8 loosen the forward cable nut and tighten the rear one. If the distance is more than 1 7/8 loosen the rear cable nut and tighten the forward one. When the adjustment is correct tighten one nut to 60 inch pounds, without moving the measured distance. Recheck the measurement, if spot on, you have the cable installed with the correct torque. This is with the 1998 12/24 and 24 volt HT motors with the 12 1/2 inch prop.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 04-04-2020 at 08:33 AM.

8. Member
    To adjust the cable. Remove the motor shaft from the motor tube bracket, install the cable with the cable bullet in the place for it, place a washer and nut on each end of the cable, adjust both nuts equally to about 50 inch pounds. The idea here is to have about the same amount of threads showing on each cable end. Install the motor tube in the bracket, lower motor and then raise it up, with prop facing down, until the motor housing touches the point on the motor rest flapper, measure the distance from that point to the motor seam close to the prop, it must be 1 5/8 to 1 7/8 inches. If that distance is less than 1 5/8 loosen the forward cable nut and tighten the rear one. If the distance is more than 1 7/8 loosen the rear cable nut and tighten the forward one. When the adjustment is correct tighten one nut to 60 inch pounds, without moving the measured distance. Recheck the measurement, if spot on, you have the cable installed with the correct torque. This is with the 1998 12/24 and 24 volt HT motors with the 12 1/2 inch prop.

Thanks