Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

USA REMINDER- This forum is PRIMARILY for 2-stroke 130hp and under!

Please be sure to take a moment to make sure you're in the CORRECT Forum for your engine. While we're all very happy to assist, I did notice a few moments ago that 10 of the first 12 threads in this forum were for engines covered elsewhere.

There is a reminder pinned up at the top of the Forum... with descriptions to help clarify what is covered where.

Copying it here as well- Thank you for your assistance!

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Do the best I can to point folks to the other forums...all I can do.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Banned
    It may help if the questions weren't answered by people,

4. Member
    I think the reason so many people with Mercury V-6 engines are coming to this board, and the reason I came to this board, is because of the wording of the "Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance" on the motor forums listing page. Where as the 3.0 liter forum says "3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance", the wording of the "2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance" forum indicated to me that it meant ONLY high performance. On the forums listing page the 130 hp and under forum just says "For discussions related to "Stock" Mercury motors" with no mention of horsepower. I think if you clarify the wording on the forums listing page that the 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 forum is for both stock and high performance and list the horsepower cutoff on the 130 hp and under forum this problem will go away.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unfortunately, we can't change the primary name of the forum or it makes a HUGE mess for links, searches, etc. Been a lot of discussion over the years- the "Mercury" forum and the "Mercury 2.0/2.4/2.5" have been here for many years (whereas the 3L Forum was started in 2008, and the 4 Stroke forum a few years ago).

Just have to rely on folks to read the sticky posts and do the best we can.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    TTT
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Banned
    It may help if the moderators would be able to move the post to the correct forum. One thing I notice is that sometimes they tell the person they are in the wrong forum, and not give an answer. and other times they just answer the question and don't say anything about being in the wrong forum.

8. Member
    I’m one of the posters to the wrong forum. I was thinking the same. I knew mine wasn’t a High Performance motor and this forum said “stock”
    sorry won’t happen again

9. Member
    TTT
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Newbie here, looking to buy a 1981 Ranger 189V with a 1982 Mercury BlackMax 150, 2 stroke, so I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum as I didn't see anything for the BlackMax. If this is in the wrong forum thread, moderators can go ahead to move to the right area, thanks.

Seller says the motor is original and did run until last year, low compression on two of the cylinders, so we plan to go ahead with a rebuild of the motor anyways.

Does anyone have any ideas on the cost of a rebuild? Seller did mention it would need a top end rebuild, but thinking let's just do a complete rebuild rather than risk having to tear the engine apart again? Anyone know of a good mechanic in the San Diego or Orange County area (CA)?

11. Member
    Engine displacement determines correct forum, which, for your 150hp is the 2.0L/2.4L/2.5L forum just below this one. Try posting there, including engine serial number.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    TTT
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    TTT