Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NRX Spinning rod, want another.

I have a 872s and would like to add another NRX spinning rod to my arsenal. I use the 872 for Ned's, lighter shakey heads, floating worms, etc. What is another "versitile" model? Maybe for wacky rigged Senkos, drop shot, floating worms, lighter jigs. I tend not to dedicate rods for one particular technique unless it's just not practical (rod & bait combo) so who knows what I'll throw on it. I guess what I'm boiling down to is what is your go to NRX spinning model? Also open for suggestions on GLX and Conquest. Thanks.

2. Member
    The rod you have checks all the boxes otherwise go glx or conquest and get a mbr rod. 842
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    822 DSR

4. Member
    I have an 872 and 901, but I LOVE my 822 DSR! Get one.

5. Member
    Started with one 852 than added another 852. This year I bought a 872 to try.

6. Member
    I have 4 different models in the NRX line and a Conquest. If I had it to do over again I would just get 5 of the 872’s. Absolutely my favorite rod for everything spinning.

My go to NRX in spinning is a 901s

8. Member
    Thinking 852 or an 822 DSR. I fish Table Rock and Bull Shoals and often vertical a drop shot in the tree tops on bluffs in deep water so the DSR might be the ticket. Is there a noticable difference between the 822 in GLX vs NRX? I have one new GLX casting rod but haven't had alot of time with it.

9. Member
    I have 2 NRX 852 and really like them. Very versatile rod.

10. Member
    You could try the 852. Its just a touch stronger than the 872. The 872 is my favorite spinning rod for a variety of things but the 852 is a pretty nice stick to
    They aint got hands, set the hook

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I had 4 of the NRX 852S's, very versatile rod.

Have 4 of the 842S Conquests now, also a very versatile rod.

Good luck

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Thinking 852 or an 822 DSR. I fish Table Rock and Bull Shoals and often vertical a drop shot in the tree tops on bluffs in deep water so the DSR might be the ticket. Is there a noticable difference between the 822 in GLX vs NRX? I have one new GLX casting rod but haven't had alot of time with it.
    As far as I'm concerned, the NRX 822S DSR is the dropshot rod every other one wants to be. I don't think it's very useful for anything else but dropshots so it's a pretty expensive single purpose rod. If it turns out that you want something more multipurpose, it won't last for long on the Rods4Sale page.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

13. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Be aware that these two rods are VERY different. Nobody has mentioned how soft the DSR actually is...It fishes like the old 820 GLX drop shot rod. I am super familiar with Table Rock and Bull Shoals and the drop shotting...If you wanted a rod that will move a bigger spot off a tree top but wont overlap as much with your 872 as much as the 852 will, the 822 SYR may be the ticket...It is the go between, regarding power, between the DSR and the 852. In regards the DSR being a one application rod, this is pretty true. I actually started using mine in small creeks, as well. I recently sold my DSR and made the Conquest 782s my new creek rod, and will double for drop shotting, if I ever get around to it again.
    Steve

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Be aware that these two rods are VERY different. Nobody has mentioned how soft the DSR actually is...It fishes like the old 820 GLX drop shot rod. I am super familiar with Table Rock and Bull Shoals and the drop shotting...If you wanted a rod that will move a bigger spot off a tree top but wont overlap as much with your 872 as much as the 852 will, the 822 SYR may be the ticket...It is the go between, regarding power, between the DSR and the 852. In regards the DSR being a one application rod, this is pretty true. I actually started using mine in small creeks, as well. I recently sold my DSR and made the Conquest 782s my new creek rod, and will double for drop shotting, if I ever get around to it again.
    I've considered the 822 SYR for a little more power and versatility but as far as NRX vs GLX is there a noticeable difference? I mentioned earlier that I have a few NRX casting and one spinning, I have a new GLX and really like it but I haven't had much hands on time with it to make a fair comparison.

15. Moderator
    I really haven't spent any time with the new GLXs really. With the price gap being something like $65-$75 (I know it is $115 retail) in the marketplace, I personally haven't felt the need to try the GLX spinning rods in a long time...of course one could argue the GLX guide system is preferred and its sensitivity is more than enough...I have felt the IMX DSR and it was similar in action...maybe a hair more powerful (at least from playing with it in my buddy's shop).
    Steve

16. Moderator
    I have 852/842 NRX and love them both. Recently got an 802 for my youngest son. It's awesome so far. Haven't fished it much yet though....Might be a solid option. The DSR is also nice. It's soft, but like Steve said, not even close to an 852....

17. Member
    I ordered a 822 SYR. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Just got the 822 SYR in today from The Hookup Tackle and even though I haven't fished it yet I believe it will be exactly what you described!! Its paired with a Stradic 2500 Ci4+ that i bought on here BNIB for a great price, would love to have an Excense but this is a good reel from my research (have the previous Ci4 and FK). Just whipping it around the house i believe it was definitely the right choice for my applications.

19. Member
    So now I just purchased a 3000FJ Stella and need a rod! My 872 has a 2500 Vanquish and since I got the 822 SYR should I go back with another 872 or get a 852 to throw in the mix?

20. Member
    The 852 fishes a little stronger than the 872. If youll be throwing heavier baits than you feel like 872 will handle really wel or if you want a little more backbone to drive a single hook home on a certain technique the 852 would be a better option. Imo there isnt a better spinning rod made than the 872
    They aint got hands, set the hook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast