Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6.2 L in a super duty

Anyone towing with one of these and care to share how you like it?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Anyone towing with one of these and care to share how you like it?
    You are towing a 3500# rig, which should not have any issues with the 6.2L, and you could do it with an F150 with a 5.0, if you are not towing anything over 7800# or 8600 Max trailering package.

3. Member
    Thanks man, I have/had a F-150 with the 5.0 and it did fine on the flat land but struggled in the hills and hollers down south. I pulled the trigger on it and pick it up Friday
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

4. Member
    I used to have a 6.2 and it was great. You will like it if you decide to go that route.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    I used to have a 6.2 and it was great. You will like it if you decide to go that route.

Thanks buddy, pick it up friday

6. Member
    Thanks man, I have/had a F-150 with the 5.0 and it did fine on the flat land but struggled in the hills and hollers down south. I pulled the trigger on it and pick it up Friday
    Congrats on the F250 with the 6.2, and I do understand the 5.0 would holler as you put it. However, they make power at different RPM range, and 6.2 will pull more like a diesel.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Congrats on the F250 with the 6.2, and I do understand the 5.0 would holler as you put it. However, they make power at different RPM range, and 6.2 will pull more like a diesel.
    Pull more like a diesel? I don't think so not even close, that 6.2 don't even make half of the torque of a diesel.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Thanks man. I had a 2017 6.7 that I had parked in the garage to pull the boat and it was a horse. Couldn’t justify it sitting there just to drag the boat and my brother came on some hard times so I sold it to him. I have to have a gas truck for work purposes (in order to get a monthly stipend) so I decided to give the 6.2 a try. I haven’t pulled the boat with it yet but after driving it I have to agree with bass.man, I don’t think it’ll be anywhere close to the diesel truck. If this don’t pan out like I hope it will I’ll drive it for a year or two and trade it for a cheaper model F-150 for work and buy another diesel truck.

9. Member
    How about the new 7.3 v8

10. Member
    I have a 250 with 6.2. The truck itself handles towing the boat to where you don't even know it's behind you, but when you hit a hill you definitely get into the gas pedal. Also make sure you are fueled up, the gas mileage gets cut in half.
    21 PHX

I loved my 6.2 in my F250, great motor, decent on fuel but it's a 3/4 ton truck with a gasser so don't expect it to be thrifty, but you'll like it...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Pull more like a diesel? I don't think so not even close, that 6.2 don't even make half of the torque of a diesel.
    Let me clarify, it has a flat torque curve like a diesel.

BTW, the diesels used today were never intended for pick up truck but medium duty applications like F650-850, or if GM person 5500-8500.

13. Member
    Thanks man. I had a 2017 6.7 that I had parked in the garage to pull the boat and it was a horse. Couldn’t justify it sitting there just to drag the boat and my brother came on some hard times so I sold it to him. I have to have a gas truck for work purposes (in order to get a monthly stipend) so I decided to give the 6.2 a try. I haven’t pulled the boat with it yet but after driving it I have to agree with bass.man, I don’t think it’ll be anywhere close to the diesel truck. If this don’t pan out like I hope it will I’ll drive it for a year or two and trade it for a cheaper model F-150 for work and buy another diesel truck.
    I hope your brother doesn't get pissed at you when it comes time for maintenance and other issues every diesel is having with DEF additive crap. Mason friend had issues within 50K miles and with the regen cycle didn't seem to be getting as great mileage. I think you will be very pleased with the 6.2L.

I have a 2018 F250 with the 6.2 and I pull a 21 foot cat behind a 28 foot travel trailer Tandem. It pulls both very well. The gas mileage is not great but I did not purchase it for the gas mileage.

Southern to Northern translation: holler is a valley, not the sound the engine makes.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Southern to Northern translation: holler is a valley, not the sound the engine makes.
    Reckon I know both holler = hollow and my cousin still lives in Concord, NC, but the fact remains that the 5.0 makes its power in the 5000 + RPM range, so unless you are like me that your race car spools up to 7500, you may find it kinda troublesome.
    Last edited by digthemup; 04-02-2020 at 06:22 PM.

17. Member
    That engine is bullet proof. Completely.

We have a landscaping business, and we run this motor in all of our trucks. We beat them to death. They are so much more reliable than the diesels. Most of ours spend their whole life with a loaded dump trailer attached. We can’t kill them.

18. Member
    I hope your brother doesn't get pissed at you when it comes time for maintenance and other issues every diesel is having with DEF additive crap. Mason friend had issues within 50K miles and with the regen cycle didn't seem to be getting as great mileage. I think you will be very pleased with the 6.2L.
    Lol Yea he’s used to that, he had a duramax so he knows all about the oil changes and other high dollar maintenance

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post

Exactly, that’s what I was sayin but I do think digthemup was kinda right to, that 5.0 did some hollerin

20. Member
    All my def fell off on a dirt road and I haven't seen it since.
    That 379 c.i.d. should pull your boat without thinking about it. Eh three gallons of oil aint bad when you go 30,000 miles with a filter and one quart at 15,000 in between the full changes.
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast