Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talon / PP users

Couple quick questions for the owners please...

1) Talon guys...Has there ever been a situation where you wished you had Power Poles instead? Clearance issues (low bridges, storage) will never be an issue for me. The only worry I have is if the person in the back of the boat finds then in the way sometimes since PP can lower out of the way.

2) For the PP owners.... what do you feel makes the Poles better than the Talons?

Thank you all for you help.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    this should get good! ( insert zipper mouth emojie here)

I'll start lol. I've had NO problems with my Talon's lucky I guess. I have them on tilt brackets been under some pretty sketchy bridges. I'll be the first to say I think PP's look better and definitely are a little lighter. Both are good products imo.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

Imo neither product is that much more superior over the other. Both have different advantages I've fished out of different boat's that had both as far as performance didn't see a big difference.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

6. Member
    Talons can be laid down on back deck with use of tilt brackets (easy clearance without concern of water depth), much shorter in the 8’ and 10’ and are about the height of the motor (12’ and 15’ if you want them), no need for pumps or oil reservoirs inside boat, talons can be set up with quick disconnects and taken off for travel or if you don’t want them on for a trip, can be networked with humminbird systems

Poles carry less weight back behind the boat and are a little lighter, poles can be partially deployed for clearance if water is deep enough, you can get drift paddles for poles for deep water and currents, once installed poles are as simple of operation as tilt/trim.

Both have things they are better for, everyone will say there’s are better.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I know this does not answer your specific question but its the best advice I can give anyone on the fence...I could name several things that are pros and cons about both products. In the end they both do the same job but you have to choose which one is the better choice for your particular needs. If possible it would be nice if you could go out on two boats that are similar but one has Talons and the other has Power Pole. This way you can experience both in action and help make your decision.

Power Poles - 3rd boat with them. Will not have anything else. Customer service is best in industry. Lighter, quieter, more versatile, and look better. Talons - Louder, bulkier, louder, heavier, louder.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    Power Poles - 3rd boat with them. Will not have anything else. Customer service is best in industry. Lighter, quieter, more versatile, and look better. Talons - Louder, bulkier, louder, heavier, louder.
    Talons only sound louder because the motor is outside the boat. PP pump are just as noisy you just don't hear them in the bilge but darn sure echo through the hull down into the water.

Iv had two Tritons with PPs both w CM1.0. The first one didn't have any issues. My current boat has blown 2 blue hoses. PP did send new hoses and all the fittings but man what a mess. Just one of the many good things about PP is the poles can be serviced by you. You do not have to send the poles to a Service center unless your sending the actual pump to PP. Even then if you send your pumps in on a monday youll probably have them back by friday. I know I did when I had mine rebuilt for a small fee. Their CS can not be beat. I will always own PPs.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

11. Member
    Thank you all for the help. I appreciate your time.

12. Member
    Have had dual 12' talons for a season (had one for one season, 2 for one season now).. Love them. Cant imagaine fishingwithout them. I love the look of both PP and Talons.. Weight is the only concern I have but honestly its worth it.. Didn't want to run the oil in my boat (had absolutely no room anyways) but either way you will be fine.

note I know you said you dont need to tilt them but i would never mount them without a tilt bracket and this was a huge factor for me to get under bridges and garage. I have no hate for either love the look of them both

13. Member
    I did poles, mostly for the lower weight behind and above the transom and the effect it has on the hole shot for my boat model. The new blades have high pressure hydraulic lines. The PPs connect to lowrance graphs, and lowrance ghost Trolling motor buttons can control the PPs.

I have one 8ft talon and its pretty level with the motor. Never heard of a complain from fishing partners that its in the way. Also its never broke on me.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

15. Member
    I had 12 talons way to heavy hole shot sucked I use to love the way my boat ran and handled until I put them on have poles now they are only 8s tho but what a difference both work but poles is my choice

I don't have either and have looked at the advantages/disadvantages of both, but had to workon replacing my transom first (dropped it off at the glass shop today). I have an 18.5 Fisher FX glass boat, so weight and room is a concern.

For me, based on my boat and needs, I am going to be purchasing an 8' Sportsman II.

1) Although I will have to mound the pump, I now have a 150 Merc Four Stroke, so I have more room due to no oil reservoir.
    2) It's lighter weight which is key for my size boat, especially with all my tackle and a 40 gallon tank.
    3) It's cheaper as I can get one new for $1300 with the bracket ($90 for stomp buttons).
    4) JL Marine customer service.

If the Talon was lighter and cheaper, I would be leaning that way due to ease of rigging.

I think you just have to go with what is right for you and your boat.

17. Member
    I have a 12ft Talon on my 17ft aluminum boat with a 70 HP. I had issues from day one with it, I had so many issues with my talon that Minnkota sent me a new one. Zero issues with this one. I think I should have went power pole. I plan on selling this boat one day, not sure if I want the talon on my new boat.

18. Member
    There's only 2 things I like better about poles.

1. They are lighter. Granted, I have 12' talons on a narrow Champ, but the weight is noticeable on holeshot.
    2. They sit much closer to the motor. I hate how wide the brackets are on my champ. Since my boat has such a narrow transom, the brackets actually stick out past the width of the setback on the transom. Causes a ton of drag and killed my holeshot.

Other than that, they've been 100% reliable...and there isn't a 12' power pole.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

19. Member
    I got talons mainly because for me anything hydraulic it’s not if it will leak or blow a hose it’s when and installation was easier

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockfalls View Post
    anything hydraulic it’s not if it will leak or blow a hose it’s when
    Couldn't be further from the truth with the new 2.0 powerpoles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast