Fitting Identification

1992 150 XR6 SN0D097172. Can anyone identify the fitting that I'm pointing to in the photo for me please. It is directly under the fuel pump IN and behind the shift/throttle cables. I haven't been able to identify it or what it's for based on the motor diagrams I've found online. Thanks.

fitting.jpg

2. Member
    WILL that's the crankcase pressure fitting for the pulse pump that goes to where brass plug is , why is it in there,you got a elect pump hooked up for fuel supply????? that fitting needs to be capped or plug in block you gonna loose #5 piston , lean cyl,who did that like that
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Joe, I'm not sure who exactly did it. I bought the motor last summer from a guy who had just had it rebuilt for a boat I'm restoring. No electric fuel pump but the oil inject has been removed so it's premix. I did see it run on the stand when I picked it up and it seemed to run well. I haven't fired it up yet because I'm still finishing the boat up. I'm just getting ready to hook up all of the fuel lines as soon as they come in.

What's the best way to plug/cap it? thanks Mike

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're going to need to get the correct fitting in the Pulse Fuel Pump, and hose connected from the block fitting to the pump.

As it sits right now- it's got a massive air leak (as Joe indicated) causing a LEAN condition.

AND... the Fuel Pump is operating at less than 60% capacity as one of the two diaphragms is just "along for the ride" right now.

I might suggest you find out who actually rebuilt this (or more specifically, who did what we see in that picture)... make sure they keep their hands off the motor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You're going to need to get the correct fitting in the Pulse Fuel Pump, and hose connected from the block fitting to the pump.

As it sits right now- it's got a massive air leak (as Joe indicated) causing a LEAN condition.

AND... the Fuel Pump is operating at less than 60% capacity as one of the two diaphragms is just "along for the ride" right now.

I might suggest you find out who actually rebuilt this (or more specifically, who did what we see in that picture)... make sure they keep their hands off the motor.
    Do you know what part numbers I need? I have an order with you now for a trim switch and some fuel line, maybe I could get it all shipped together.

Again, not sure who did that with the motor but they're not who I would use. I actually have to find a new mechanic in my area, my old one retired and moved to Tennessee.

6. Member
    do as he says and hook it up right they'll get on the right track
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hose: 8M0108355

Fitting: 996642

816311T (2 required for this hose).

Note: Unable to discern from the photo whether or not the plug size "matches" the spec size 90 degree barb fitting. Hopefully the hole size/threads remained the same (1/16 x 27 NPT).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thank you sir!

9. Member
    I've ordered the parts listed, I just want to verify how they'll get hooked up. Based on the picture I was able to find below will I think I'll be removing the brass plug in the picture I posted above of showing my fuel pump, replacing it with 996642 and then running the hose (8M0108355) down and connecting to the crankcase pressure fitting? Don and Joe, thanks for all the help.

Mercury-Mariner-Fuel-Pump-135140150200Xr6Magnum-Iii-25-V6.jpg

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Absolutely correct.

11. Member
    Great! Thanks again.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Absolutely correct.
    +1