Carpet/Pad Replacement Questions

I have a 1988 Ranger 375V that I'm researching replacing the carpet. It's only 32 years old, so a facelift is probably due....

I called Ranger and the cost for 24 ounce carpet is very reasonable, $218+tax/shipping. I've researched here and watched many Youtube videos and think I can handle the carpet. My question is, I'm considering adding padding to the front and back deck and maybe the cockpit area (not 100% sure on that one yet). I've seen many posts saying to leave anywhere from 1/2" to 2" of space between the mat and the edge of the deck so the carpet sticks. I'm also a bit confused on how to do the lids. Do I go all the way to the edge with the mat and just cut a 45 on the hinge side or do I cut a 45 around the whole thing.

Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    I would recommend you go with the 20oz carpet. You have to ask for the carpet for the Alumin boats. You can pad both front and back. Leave 1 1/2” along the gunnel and around the back deck. On the lids the side that has the hinge you have to cut the foam on. 45 degree angle. The other three sides cut flush.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

3. Member
    Thanks Generator. What is the reason for recommending 20oz over the 24oz (fit and closing of lids, or something else? I was already planning on the potential need to shave the edges so not too worried about that)?

4. Member
    I believe Ranger has shut down operations.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    I believe Ranger has shut down operations.
    They may have. I called last week. Not worried about doing it right away, but probably in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by erick85 View Post
    They may have. I called last week. Not worried about doing it right away, but probably in the next few months.
    They have not
    Boatless

mine isn't a Ranger but I put a padded deck on the front of my boat when I did the carpet.
    the biggest thing is to make sure to get it to stay down once glued down. took a pretty good bit of creative weighing it down for about 2 days to get it to stick good or it wanted to bubble up.
    on mine I left about 1 inch around the outer edge I glued these down last. now I was using weldwood contact cement to glue all my stuff down and so far almost a year later I haven't had a problem with it at all.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erick85 View Post
    Thanks Generator. What is the reason for recommending 20oz over the 24oz (fit and closing of lids, or something else? I was already planning on the potential need to shave the edges so not too worried about that)?
    The boat you have came with 20oz carpet and if you put 24oz back in the kids will be so tight you won’t get them open. I just did a 1988 361 and the lids where still kinda tight with 20oz.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    The boat you have came with 20oz carpet and if you put 24oz back in the kids will be so tight you won’t get them open. I just did a 1988 361 and the lids where still kinda tight with 20oz.
    You can trim the carpet down to get the lids to fit. My boat originally came with 16 ounce carpet and I put 24 ounce and padding on. Just have to shave the edges down.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    mine isn't a Ranger but I put a padded deck on the front of my boat when I did the carpet.
    the biggest thing is to make sure to get it to stay down once glued down. took a pretty good bit of creative weighing it down for about 2 days to get it to stick good or it wanted to bubble up.
    on mine I left about 1 inch around the outer edge I glued these down last. now I was using weldwood contact cement to glue all my stuff down and so far almost a year later I haven't had a problem with it at all.

2 days to get the padding to stick, weldwood was the problem. That stuff doesn't dry under rubber, it's and air dry glue. I put new carpet into a boat, they must have jammed the trolling motor foot control down withing seconds of gluing the carpet down, the glue under it never set up, the air was cut off from it. It was still wet in an old boat.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

11. Member
    When using welwood you have to cove both carpet and deck then let them tack up for 15 mins then stick them in place.

12. TJNYSNP
    I used the same method for Kerdi in shower refinish! that's a great trick in any tile or carpet glueing instllation

doing both sides is the bomb