Critical Engine Condition on 175 Pro XS

Hey guys, so I took my boat out this past Saturday and got a critical engine condition alarm while idling. Did some research on what would cause it and got a few different things. But this afternoon I put muffs on the motor and started it up, got the alarm again with it in neutral. I have a steady stream of water out the back of the motor and my battery was 12.6 V. I did take the cowling off and looked at the oil reservoir and realized it was about 3/4 full. Should it be completely full? And would the oil level in the local reservoir give a critical engine condition? Any input would be appreciated. Just want to make sure it’s not something obvious before I take it to the local marine shop

2. Member
    Someone will be along to officially remind you to post your serial # and model # - really the only way the pros can help you out.

Someone who knows infinitely more than me will come along and help, though at this time of year, with fluctuating water levels and all the trash in the water, 2 stroke ProXS get trash in the T-stats... they stay open, engine gets too cool while idling, and bam. code. Cleaned my T-stats a weak ago. got another code yesterday and it wasn't coming up to temp at idle. I hate that design.

Did you happen to notice engine water temp at the time of the code?
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

3. Member
    I don’t have an engine water temp gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by P_Frost7 View Post
    Hey guys, so I took my boat out this past Saturday and got a critical engine condition alarm while idling. Did some research on what would cause it and got a few different things. But this afternoon I put muffs on the motor and started it up, got the alarm again with it in neutral. I have a steady stream of water out the back of the motor and my battery was 12.6 V. I did take the cowling off and looked at the oil reservoir and realized it was about 3/4 full. Should it be completely full? And would the oil level in the local reservoir give a critical engine condition? Any input would be appreciated. Just want to make sure it’s not something obvious before I take it to the local marine shop
    Please read the forum announcements at the top of the page and provide the required info
    All the way to the top. Loosen the cap on the top of the tank and run the motor 800 to 1000 RPM, Very shortly the tank should start filling. When the tank is full be sure to tighten the cap. If the alarm is constant it might be wise to very carefully remove the plug in the tank and manually fill it first just to be safe. If it is still alarming disconnect the sensor on the oil tank and jumper the two wires on the harness side to see if the alarm stops
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Without a gauge of any kind you're simply stabbing in the dark. You can guess at what may be wrong or get useful information to pinpoint your efforts - WARNING HORN "BEEPED"

With the Optimax, standard, ProXS, or XS, the telltale comes from the compressor not the thermostats, so is not a good indicator to use in diagnosing engine cooling system issues. All the telltale does is confirm coolant flow through compressor to the telltale outlet.

Your post will likely be moved to the 2.5L forum when Don checks in as this forum is for 3L & 3.2L engines.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Without a gauge of any kind you're simply stabbing in the dark. You can guess at what may be wrong or get useful information to pinpoint your efforts - WARNING HORN "BEEPED"

With the Optimax, standard, ProXS, or XS, the telltale comes from the compressor not the thermostats, so is not a good indicator to use in diagnosing engine cooling system issues. All the telltale does is confirm coolant flow through compressor to the telltale outlet.

Your post will likely be moved to the 2.5L forum when Don checks in as this forum is for 3L & 3.2L engines.
    +1

As suggested above, Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

I am a firm believer that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for getting that engine on the Computer Diagnostic System, and obtaining PRINTOUTS of the Run History, and the Freeze Frame (Fault) History.

That being said- you should always address the OBVIOUS problem that you can observe with your eyeballs. The engine mounted oil tank should be 100% full, with NO air space. See the FAQ Section for "Bleeding Air from the Engine-Mounted Oil Tank" (complete those instructions and see if the problem persists).

IF you continue to get a warning horn after that, I would not recommend running the engine again until it's been properly diagnosed.

One other suggestion: It would be a lot of benefit to you to get a Smartcraft Instrument (or at the very least, the Vessel View MOBILE device).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor