Line for smallies

Thinking about throwing light hair and feather jigs for early smallies. Is 4# too light? I’m on a clear lake in NW Wi with a fair amount of 16”-20” fish.

2. Member
    I catch 10 pound plus steelhead on 4 lb line. You will be fine. Set drag accordingly.

Is there a reason you want to go that light? Why not 6? Not saying you can’t do it, just not sure why you’d want to.

The lightest I personally throw for bass is 7 lb. I fish several lakes where you can see the bottom in 15+ feet.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I have fish 4 pound, 6 pound, and 8 pound for smallies in the super clear water of Georgian Bay. The 4 pound worked OK, except it had to constantly be retied due to a nick or fear that the knot had been strained from a couple larger fish. 8 pound works fine as well and it's what I use most often. But, over the years I've used 6 pound most often and it would be my "go to" if I was forced to choose only one line.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Same as Jeff here. I fish in super clear water on flats that are 4 to 6 feet deep ( St Lawrence river). I feel that with four pound test the jig (1/8oz) sinks too fast and I don't get that floating/swimming action that the fish like. Also, we have zebra mussels and I don't want that line touching bottom too often. I use 6 pound test fluoro.
    Last edited by Real L; 04-01-2020 at 09:34 AM.

6. Member
    I'll vote for the opposition. I think 4 is the new 6. If you buy quality line (I use Sunline or Invisx) I think it makes a big difference. Castability is the big advantage. I throw little hair jigs and this little rig in the Great Lakes and you can launch it on a long rod. I am fishing very open water though. Maybe try Sunline FC Sniper 5lb, this is really good stuff too.

28337902_1634565529963733_7095966308101584917_o.jpg

7. Member
    Thanks for the input, guys. I was thinking mono to keep the bait a little higher in the water. Maybe try a some different weights. Still a lot of ice here in NW Wi.

I wish I had this problem

9. Member
    I’ve tried as low as 5lb floro but found it got caught in the wind too much. Now use 7.3lb floro or 8lb. The NH waters are almost always Gin clear. For other applications I will use 12 or 14lb.
    Red Sox in 6!

10. Member
    4lb is fine if you use Tatsu. It's the only 4 or 6 I'll use now. One of the few things that I've found to be worth the extra money.

11. Member
    School Master, I'm betting you catch a bunch of fish on that little beauty. If you don't mind my asking ..... is that a custom poured jig head, or is that something that is available for purchase on line? I'd really like to get me some of those.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryr1 View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I was thinking mono to keep the bait a little higher in the water. Maybe try a some different weights. Still a lot of ice here in NW Wi.
    Higher in the column and or slower drop can be achieved in combination with lead (amount/shape) and what your jigs are made out of in conjunction with the line. Not all hair is created equal with a good many offering specific attributes ie marabou (undulation), buck tail (profile,slower drop) etc and of course various materials can be combined depending on desired result. All I fish are smallmouth and everything I know of them was gleaned from Billy Westmorelands’ teachings. He did some historical stuff with 4 and 6 that was as another poster mentioned nowhere close to the quality available today.

Good fishing sir. The speed over ground in conjunction with drop rate is an important tool of mine.
    In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
    American Legacy Fishing Company
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

13. Member
    Talking about materials, here is something I started doing last season that helps to ''float'' my marabout jigs. I cut little pieces of elaztech (from a TRD) that I slip on the shank of the hook, like weighing a jerk bait but in reverse.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    School Master, I'm betting you catch a bunch of fish on that little beauty. If you don't mind my asking ..... is that a custom poured jig head, or is that something that is available for purchase on line? I'd really like to get me some of those.
    The head is just a Do-It molds midwest head and a size 1 Gamakatsu hook. The actual bait is a custom lure I make.

15. Member
    I catch 5s all winter on a damiki and 4lb line..

16. Member
    Thanks for all the input, guys. Rain tonight should help the ice leave!