Looking for some information on Smith Lake

Thinking of going to Smith Lake this Saturday. This will be my first time on Smith. I live in NW Alabama and would appreciate a couple suggestions for the best place to launch. Would much prefer a place with a dock. Any other info greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Smith Lake Park. Stay in Ryan Creek arm and throw buzzbait, jerkbaits, Excalibur Spit’n Image, Pop-R’s, Norman cranks, shaky heads, and look for surface action at daybreak at the mouth of any slough and on points.

3. Member
    Thank you Buccaneer. I was hoping to find something on the other end of the lake. Will be departing from Muscle Shoals. I can make that trip but it is 1.5 hours each way.

4. Member
    Launch at Duncan Bridge or Houston Recreational Park both are very good ramps. Google them and if you have trouble finding PM me.

5. Member
    Duncan Bridge is good. Don't go to the dam they are still working on docks and ramp there. We went to Smith Lake Park 2 weeks ago. Caught fish on a jerkbait, shakey head, fluke, and topwater.

6. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    I only fish Smith once or twice a year but Duncan Bridge Marina is about the only ramp I've used in the past couple of years other than the rare few times I've launched out of the dam. Be aware, though, that it is a private launch and has a use fee that used to be somewhere around $10 per boat but I haven't been there since last year and it may have gone up. There's an "honor system" drop box at the top of the ramp which, I'm told, is monitored by video surveillance and I've heard of people being ticketed and vehicles towed for nonpayment. Obviously, there's no way to get change so I'd suggest you have correct change on hand when you get there.

7. Member
    Thanks Avery. Also thank you KCBama for the info.

8. Member
    OK boys what about baits? My experiences at Smith in the Spring are in Ryan Creek as my buddy has a place at Catalina Point. Topwater was always a pre-post dawn go to in the section of the lake. Then jerk baits and flat side cranks. How does the lake fish in the northern creek arms this time of year?

9. Member
    Swimbaits are good this time of year especially if there is a warm up. Spinnerbaits, topwater, and can always catch fish on a shakey head. My partner and I came in 4th a couple years ago in a ABT tournament this time of year on swimbaits. It really depends on temperature I believe. If its warm and they are moving then throw a spinnerbait and swimbait maybe mix in a fluke. If its cold slowly fish a shakey head.