HDS IP address question

I have an HDS9 Gen2 connected to an HDS Gen3 (Gen3 is on version7).
    When the eNet cable is hooked up and the HDS9 is powered up, the HDS12 will not complete boot process, it just shuts down and restarts. It does not matter if I start the HDS9 or the HDS12 first. If I disconnect the eNet cable, the HDS12 boots and works as it should. In this pic you can see that the values in subnet 3 are different, but without being able to see the subnet mask, I donít know if this is the problem.
    All help is appreciated.
    57B26345-794F-496E-B8D8-14C934BFCA92.jpeg

Southern By Latitude - Gentleman By Attitude

Well, It is working for now. I restored the defaults on the HDS12 and part of that process was to allow it to auto configure the network. It started working after that.

3. 2019 Z520L
    As I understand the default address range is a class b address or a /16. The first two octets are the network with the last two being the node address. In this case that looks ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    As I understand the default address range is a class b address or a /16. The first two octets are the network with the last two being the node address. In this case that looks ok.
    Thanks, since the network is so small, I assumed the network mask to be 255.255.255.0 but from the fact that these IP addresses do communicate, It would be 255.255.0.0.
    As usual, I was over thinking it LOL.
    Thanks for the reply.

Well I found the problem.

I was using a Navonics South card that I had upgraded to Navonics Plus in the HDS9 Gen 2 and it was shared by Ethernet to the HDS12. The card expired, but instead of updating it, I bought a new US and Canada card.

It only occurred to me yesterday, that my problem started when I installed the new Card. With the new card in the HDS9, the HDS12 would not complete the boot up. It just shutdown and restarted continuously.

I put the Navonics card in the HDS12 instead of the HDS9 and it booted up and worked fine and the HDS9 read the card over the Ethernet.

I checked the size of the cards and the old card was 8.79 GB and the new card was 20.9 GB.

So, with the card in the HDS9, as the HDS12 was booting it tried to pull that huge amount of data across the network but the Ethernet timed out and interrupted the boot process which caused a restart.

I can’t explain why the HDS9 can pull the data from the HDS12 but the 12 can’t pull it from the 9 but for now I will operate with the Navonics card in the 12.

6. Member
    Bill, good work figuring it out. Are you running the same software version on both units?
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Bill, good work figuring it out. Are you running the same software version on both units?
    No but it is because the HDS 12 is a Gen3 and the HDS9 is a Gen2.
    I am running version 7.0 on the Gen3 and the latest on The Gen2. (Donít remember the number).
    I was advised not to go past Version 7.0 on the Gen3 to avoid networking conflicts. I also know that the Gen2 in the network forces the Gen3 into legacy mode but do not know all the implications of that.
    There is also an LSS1 transducer and module attached to the HDS9 Gen2.

8. Member
    If both units are connected to the LSS-1 box then yes, the Gen3 is forced into legacy mode so it functions like a Gen 2. If you disconnect the ethernet cables to either one of the units and reset the Gen 3 it will function like a Gen 3.

Yes, I suspect the maps are too data intensive (along with the LSS-1 data) for the Gen 2 to handle.
    ciao,
    Marc