Tin in saltwater?

I have a rt 178 with 75 hp mercury, will I have trouble fishing it in brackish water or salt water. Also is there a boat on the market that I could buy that would fish both fresh water and salt water (rivers and fairly calm salt water)? Are there salt water boats set up like my 178?

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Here is a good article on your subject......

https://bajareview.com/2017/07/30/be...for-saltwater/
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

3. Member
    Terrific article, thank you Pokiest. I would prefer Aluminum over fiberglass, just didn't know if it was possible. I will check out the boats mentioned, hope I can find a dealer who I can visit.

4. Member
    The engine and trailer are prone to take more damage from the salt than the aluminum boat. Get an aluminum or galvanized trailer . If bunk....go with plastic bunks or plastic bunk covers . Many trailer manufacturers offer the plastic option. Wash, flush the engine and wash the trailer down after each use .... every time. PS: If you watch Alaskan TV shows... you will see mostly aluminum boats (Including a lot of Lund skiffs being used in salt water). Gulf of Mexico and attached bays are saltier than Alaska saltwater, but I have used some of my aluminum boats on the Gulf , Laguna Madre, and brackish bays without a problem. I followed the precautions previously listed. PS: Saltwater and carpet are not a good combination... If you have carpet... wash and rinse, thoroughly after each use..or buy a boat without carpet.

I do not fish salt or brackish water but I spend a lot of time in Florida and have friends there that fish salt a lot. I dont care what type trailer you have, it will take punishment in salt water. They don't galvanize everything, and on aluminum, there are parts that are not aluminum. Salt is tough on these parts. The boat and motor will be OK.

Make sure you have a salt water trolling motor. Also, there is a product called Salt Away that works - at least that is what they tell me. They spray the trailer after it sees salt every time. They launch the boat, park the truck and spray the trailer. They load the boat, park the truck and spray the trailer. They use a cheap plastic pump up sprayer like used in lawn or flower spraying.
    Last edited by Panama; 04-01-2020 at 06:37 PM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

6. Member
    Thanks for input, I have been looking at an Xpress 18B, it's a tin built for salt water. Anybody heard anything about that boat?

7. Member
    Have a 2012 X17 Xpress that has never been anywhere but brackish tidal water, 6-8 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and no problems so far but I usually flush the motor after each trip once the salt content starts increasing. Galvanized or aluminum trailers are a must though. Painted steel trailers are done after just a few years.

fun.jpg

One of the boats from my last unit......All aluminum. Salt water only.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

9. Member
    You moving or worried about sea level rise? Fished an old Tracker for years in brackish and bay water, flushing is the key.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

10. Member
    Thinking of moving to Florida, so I want a boat for calm saltwater, pan fishing, and I have always liked aluminum boats over fiberglass. I'm serious looking at a Xpress H18 B with a 90 hp Yammie.

11. Member
    On a side note, I actually prefer bass fishing from a center console. I like to be able to walk around. Also makes it easier to fish more people. You just have to watch rig height for garage and going under bridges.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Thinking of moving to Florida, so I want a boat for calm saltwater, pan fishing, and I have always liked aluminum boats over fiberglass. I'm serious looking at a Xpress H18 B with a 90 hp Yammie.
    I’ve been searching far and wide since February for a boat to fish here at home on Kentucky/Barkley
    lakes and also to pull down to Louisiana marshes. Landed an Excel Bay Pro 220. 175 Suzuki, 4 stroke. Xpress and Excel have had their aluminum bay boats out for a good bit, both of which dominate the waters in Louisiana where I fish. Vexus has a new one out that I love, just wasn’t in price range. The Xpress Hyperlift hull is pretty popular and time tested.

Worst part of my search was living in an area with limited inventory. I actually drove to Mississippi to pick mine up. Good luck with your search!
    "If you only have men that will come when there is a good road, do not send them. I want men who will come when there is no road at all."

13. Member
    Thanks Cdd8, I agree the Excel and the Xpress best fit my needs, both great boats and the options and draft seem to be the big difference. My biggest concern with either boat is that the trolling motor required for saltwater doesn't have a way to install transducers because of the way you deploy them and I like my display to show readings under the front of the boat, what do they do in Kentucky. Big difference in the install of transducer wiring on salt water trolling motors and freshwater trolling motors.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Thanks Cdd8, I agree the Excel and the Xpress best fit my needs, both great boats and the options and draft seem to be the big difference. My biggest concern with either boat is that the trolling motor required for saltwater doesn't have a way to install transducers because of the way you deploy them and I like my display to show readings under the front of the boat, what do they do in Kentucky. Big difference in the install of transducer wiring on salt water trolling motors and freshwater trolling motors.
    I’m working through this right now. What are you referencing as the difference between salt and freshwater trolling motors?

Here is a link from Minnkota Humminbird: https://www.humminbird.com/support/f...nsducerInstall
    And another from Cornfield Crappie Gear: https://www.cornfieldcrappiegear.com...r-72-terrova-m
    The Terrova deals me a learning curve, as I have only owned foot controlled motors in the past. There is a pigtail for Hummingbird unit upfront that protrudes out of my Terrova. I plan on using the product from CCG to mount my transducer when I get another Humminbird unit for the front of the host.
    "If you only have men that will come when there is a good road, do not send them. I want men who will come when there is no road at all."

15. Member
    I have a RT188 that I use in both fresh and saltwater. This is what I did

1. I covered the bunks with caliber synthetic bunk wrap to prevent electrolysis.
    2. The road armor was ok but I put a coat of POR15 along with a urethane sealant over top everything. Trailer is as sealed and as protected as it will ever get
    3. I have an Ultrex that I take off for saltwater and the fortrex saltwater trolling motor uses the same mount. Can be swapped in 10 min
    4. Most importantly I stop at a freshwater lake on the way home and run the boat and dunk the trailer a few times.
    5. Once home I use salt away for items that may have not got rinsed and for gear.
    6. I apply a thick coat of marine grease to the springs.

16. Member
    Thanks cdd8, you have given me the best solution I have found and I have looked considerably. I still worry about so much loose cable that can catch on submerged branches, stumps, and trees since I fish in heavy structure.. I hope to see if a 360 scan mount transducer without the down imaging will work. The saltwater riptide does not have the option of universal sonar. The cornfleld crappie gear solution looks like it may be my best option.