2003 Mercury Optimax 225 problem help please!!

Serial#OT651774 I have the above motor that will turn great but will not start. Checked kill switch, cleaned the water separator compartment adding a new fuel filter. Battery strong well charged. Don't receive system check beep when start button is pressed on but 15 seconds after this I receive a beep and fuel motor starts, and beep stops, the fuel pump stops, then another beep and fuel pump begins again. This sequence will continue until I shut the keypad off. Boat shut off mid idle like the kill switch was flipped as I was graphing some pointS on a lake I was fishing!!
    Last edited by Bass_Freak; 03-31-2020 at 01:14 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC! If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements (at the top of the Forum) and provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Suggestions:

-Check battery, make sure it is FULLY CHARGED, has Adequate Capacity (950 or higher CCA), and is properly connected (wrench tight).

-Check CIRCUIT BREAKERS in boat to make sure they are ON, and providing proper power

-Check Cannon Plug (disconnect, clean male pins, spread male pins SLIGHTLY with an exacto knife, reconnect and secure in place)

-If problem persists, try a Transom Mounted Keyswitch Harness (to rule out touchpad or module problems).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor