Question Remote Drain Plug on PT185

Hi all, I've been workin' on the boat while locked away from people and next up I'm thinking about a remote drain plug for my PT185. I know the flow-rite won't work in stock form (I have the 1/2 protruding nipple plug that it doesn't like). And I've not seen any other options in web searches so I'm down to tinkering. Thinking of cutting and shaping a transducer board (may have to double up, epoxy, and plane down to right height) with a hole in it to go around the nipple to give me something to screw the flow-rite to. I'd through bolt it to the transom, and i'm sure a fair amount of sealant will be involved, but before I dive into design mode, looking for input to stop me from doing something stupid. Does it sound like a workable solution? Anybody see a glaring hole in my process/plan? Any suggestions of gotchas to watch out for? Any simpler solutions out there?

2. Member
    I thought about doing the same thing but could not figure out how to get a hole through the transom large and tight enough to accommodate the drain plug without completely removing the existing protruding drain hole. I was afraid of not being able to actually seal the resulting hole adequately and there would be no way of going back to the original drain set up.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

3. Member
    Check the inner diameter of your drain and also thought about using starboard to build up around the drain hole. I wanted to install the flow-rite on my PT190. My drain measured .95 inches, the flow-rite fits 1 inch drains.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    Check the inner diameter of your drain and also thought about using starboard to build up around the drain hole. I wanted to install the flow-rite on my PT190. My drain measured .95 inches, the flow-rite fits 1 inch drains.
    Good catch. I'll pull out the calipers tomorrow. The devil is always in the details.
    Last edited by RogueWOLF; 04-01-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: quote

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    I thought about doing the same thing but could not figure out how to get a hole through the transom large and tight enough to accommodate the drain plug without completely removing the existing protruding drain hole. I was afraid of not being able to actually seal the resulting hole adequately and there would be no way of going back to the original drain set up.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Thats the one thing I refuse to do (remove the stock plug nipple). I know aluminum is a PITA to weld. so anything I do will be screw holes at most. Will definitely keep posted if I pull the trigger.

6. Member
    If the drain is .95 couldn't you use a 1 inch reamer or drill it out

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrasport185 View Post
    If the drain is .95 couldn't you use a 1 inch reamer or drill it out
    Theoretically, yes, but I'm not comfortable changing the design specs of that particular item (hole in hull) :) I did check and my I.D. is 0.95" so I'm stopping here short of me finding it local and buying it to see if it has 0.05 tolerance built in. If it does, great. If not, back it goes. Thanks for the assistance folks!