Premium Plus Went Bad Stored In Boat

Just wanted to warn others as this was my first experience with an unopened jug of Premium Plus I had stored in the boat since last summer. I just opened it and started to pour it in my tank. Luckily I was paying attention and didn't just blindly dump it in. It has "clumps" in it. Almost looked like Prem Plus colored runny cottage cheese. None of that specific bottle ended up in my tank. But I'm contemplating emptying my remote oil tank and refilling with fresh just to be safe.
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

2. Member
    Which PP? Mercury/Quicksilver or Pennzoil or?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Got pictures?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Which PP? Mercury/Quicksilver or Pennzoil or?
    Don't think it would be Pennzoil. I have seen Merc PP clump and stop up the screen in the oil tank.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    It was Quicksilver Premium Plus. I've got the whole jug. It was "sealed" the whole time it was in the boat. I can text pics if someone wants to private message me their number, but I don't know how to upload pics on here. I just figured it was something to due with the extreme heat and extreme cold we get around here. Definitely not brand bashing. As I went straight to the store and bought another jug and will only ever run Premium Plus in my XB. I just wanted to let you guys know about it and just make sure you pay attention don't just throw a funnel in and start dumping.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll send you a PM with my email... definitely interested. I would also recommend you contact Mercury Marine through their website (include the Part Number from the bottle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

8. Member
    I've got some 20 years old with no clumping, so I'm following this one.
    The only 2 stroke oil I've ever heard of with a clumping issue is Amsoil, and that was years ago.

9. Member
    I'll have pics today!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

11. Banned
    Don, when you see the pics can you update us to your thoughts? I know I will never see this happen, but I like to learn what might cause this.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I never received the pictures....

13. Member
    Ok so I took a paper plate and a plastic fork out to dump the oil on and take some pics. This is the Green Colored Premium Plus. And I filled up a plate and to my surprise there's no clumps so far. When I started dumping the oil back into the jug it did seem like it had "separated" some like some of the oil was light green then you could see some darker real fine particles. I'm not real sure what to think of all of this as the oil looked totally different a week ago with the clumps now it looks "normal" for the most part. I'm not going to run it in my boat but I'm going to run it through a funnel with a strainer and use it for mixed gas for my small equipment. If any clumps come out when I run it through strainer I'll be sure to snap a pic. But at this point I'm considering it GOOD and don't want to dump it just for the heck of it.

14. Member
    I'm still in shock because when I first opened it a week ago it was like runny cottage cheese that filled up the whole opening of the jug. Now smooth as silk.. I don't know it really baffles me.

15. Member
    On the plus side I'm no longer worried about flushing my remote tank. I'm just floored by the difference it doesn't make sense..

Only real variable is temperature. I had some super tech 2 stroke clump a long time ago. Not trying to steal the thread but it does happen.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Is there any possibility that the extremely thin "clear plastic" seal (which is the bottom-most part of the paper/foil seal on top of the jug) was still in place, or only partially removed?

Temperature should not have affected this unless moisture was present in the oil (at least not temperatures at which you would even think about getting in your boat).

Curious to see what you find when you filter that. Perhaps run it through two paint filters (stacked) for a general idea.

18. Member
    Good guess, Don
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

19. Member
    I'm thinking moisture too Don. As it was in stored in the bilge area of my boat. It was laying down on it's side, must've gotten knocked over on last trip home from the lake. I've got a trans filter that gear lube won't hardly run through because the screen is so fine. Going to run it through that from one bottle to another. I bet the seal had a little hole in it or something and it got moisture in it. The label on the bottle is in rough shape to say the least. So I'm with you Don I bet moisture was the culprit.

20. Member
    I posted recently about clumpy oil, but in my case DFI. Had to dump and wash out my remote tank