Thread: Handle loose

Handle loose

The handle is loose and was wanting to see if I can tighten it up but don’t know how I should go about it. The button on my other one would just pop out but this one seems it doesn’t. Any ideas ?
    007775ED-2FF0-4DC9-A000-698EF9D83C62.jpeg2012 225 pro XS
    Model. 1225P73ED
    SERIAL 1B904110

2. Member
    Unfortunately the button is attached to a push rod that disengages the shifter which I'm sure you know and when you pry the button out it normally snaps off at the bottom underside of the button. When you pop it out you can tighten the handle up using a socket. If your lucky the button and rod will come out in one piece, if not you'll have to order a new one or try and repair the broken one. I hope this helps.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Place the handle in the "throttle only" at approximately 9pm position.

CAREFULLY pry the button out. Don't worry too much if it breaks- they do sometimes. If it breaks, do your best to retrieve the pieces.

Return handle to the NEUTRAL POSITION (important).

The bolt behind the button requires BLUE liquid loctite on it's threads.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks everyone... Don did what you said but it did break .. Order another one... Was able to tighten thanks

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    891645A01 should be what you need.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor