long range shooting

Just getting into it and can see this being very addictive. The sporting clays range south of my place has up to 850 range in place. I've yet to go there and try, trying to master 500 yds first. With the topography on my farm its tough to get a range. I finally got a 500 yd target set across from my house. This entailed glassing across the creek bottom to the far ridge and finding a place where the there is enough gap in the trees for a clear line of sight. Distance was figured using the onX hunt ap.

I'm shooting a 6.5 CM Browning x-bolt with 22" barrel. Shooting factory Hornady 140eldm at 2710 fps. With the Hornady ballistic ap and entered data, it states 8.6 moa adjustment. After several attempts and misses I've determined that 11.5 moa is the key. I got the steel plate hit before the wind got wild.

Has anyone used the ballistic app? If so, is it accurate?

Looking for some advice and experiences.

I use the free version of strelok and it seems pretty accurate. It gets me within 1 moa out to 1000 yards, but like anything else, you have to give it good data to work with. If the calculator doesn't agree with real life, I tweek the bullet BC until they match. There is a measurment tool on google earth that I use for ranging that is very accurate.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    I do not have much experience but I have shot targets out to 600. Drop is easy because once you zero for that range you are good. What is hard is using the right amount of windage.

4. Member
    The apps are only as good as what you put into them. Its critical that your zero is perfect, scope dials repeatable elevation and return to zero reliably, velocity is measured and not “off the box”, environmentals are accurate, etc. even after all that, you have to true the calculator against your actual, which means you have to have real, accurate range as well. Trueing for longer range is generally a matter of shooting at 600+ yds range and tweaking the bc until calculated data matches your real dope. It’s a lot, but if you dont dot all the i’s your calculator will never be as accurate as you want.

5. Member
    By the way, I assume your calculated 8.6 moa was at the 500 yd target? My strelok 6.5cm data with factory american gunner, which chronod at about 2650/advertised at 2690, has that at 12.5 moa, much closer to your actual—so if your calculator returned 8.6moa something seems way different. I have not used the hornady app but I have heard people say its good, so I would double check all of your inputs.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 04-01-2020 at 07:28 PM.

I checked zero and adjusted. Switched to 130 Berger, app was dead on with moa adjustment. Banging the gong @ 525 yds consistently.

7. Member
    Rhett, If you do facebook. Go to Indiana 2A United and PM Guy Relford. He had a post with something on long distance a week or so ago. He is a shooting instructor and a 2A attorney out of Indy. He is on 2A a bunch
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 04-03-2020 at 04:12 PM.

8. Member
    I would look at my bullet speed and adjust to your actual drop. Changing the bullet on your app will affect your wind changes as well they could be may or may not be correct. The speed will be affected by barrel length and how the cartridge chamber is cut. The BC of the bullet you are using will not change.

9. Member
    Also activate the weather option to pull data from closest location that will help with accuracy of your numbers.

Is your bullet speed measured (chrono) or are you going by the manufacturer’s advertised velocity? Most ammo data is on the optimistic side.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    BC is also a function of velocity as well as bullet shape and mass, the number the manufacturer typically gives is an average not a “fixed” value. Measure your velocity, but true the calculator by adjusting BC.

12. Member
    Where do you get your information on BC not being a fixed value there are different models g1 g7 and Brian Litz has done the most work on this subject but to say that it’s not fixed would not allow for calculating drop charts.

13. Member
    Prob more than this thread asked for, but g1 and g7 bc are bc formulas for different-shaped bullets. Both of those formulas utilize velocity as 1 of several variables to calculate it. The manufacturers provide a value based on typical velocity and range, and at typical ranges it will be plenty accurate. Because most people arent shooting at 800-1200 yards those values are often wrong-enough when you get out to “long range” distances to become the major factor affecting drop because velocity has dropped so much. This is why AT LONGER RANGE, assuming you have accurate measured velocity, truing is done with bc. Most folks I know of define that range as anything past 600yds.
    If you run Applied Ballistics the “custom drag model” essentially automates a different bc as velocity decreases with range.
    Here is one reference from a super quick google search: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...vs-bc.6891826/
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 05-11-2020 at 07:25 AM.

14. Member
    I do understand what you stated. To the OP. The calculator is only as accurate as the information you enter. From what you are describing I would say your muzzle velocity is off. I would start there. Since you stated it’s addictive I would recommend getting professional training it has helped me immensely. If you can’t do classes in person snipershide has online training. I learn something every time I go to the range and I have been at this for several years. Have fun!

15. Member
    Quick loads is a great program..you’ll need to an accurate crony or lab radar to know you exact velocity-then you can built that load/velocity in quick load program and it will give to drop charts out to whatever distance you choose..

I’d personally stay away from sniperhide-there is good info there, but a TON of bullshit to shift through as well..give. accurateshooter.com a look...it’s not a free for all like Sniper Hide-there are tons of accurate info on site and anyone on the site will help you
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO