Remote tilt trim pump with single piston/ram

Serial number 6431959, 1983 mercury 150.
    Ok my outboard will tilt/trim ok when you unplug the battery charger and the first time or two that I use it on the water. After that it doesn't want to trim up to lift the bow, it gets worse as the day wears on. At best it moves very slow. When I load the boat on to the trailer and I lower the motor on to the transom saver it will stop then after waiting for a minute or so it will lower some more but will raise ok. There are four switchez to tilt and trim the motor one at the back of the boat (add on I believe as it is an old school looking togle switch), the controller handle, aftermarket two button on the steering wheel and one at the bow. Starting noticing issues when using the one at the back of the boat a while back while the one on the controller, shifter worked fine but now it doesn't matter which switch I use. The one on the steering wheel doesn't work at all now.
    So does this sound like I have an electrical problem or corrosion in the wiring? Been working a lot lately and most of my off days have been filled with chores or rain but I'm off for a few days this week and can look at it. When I pull the p, astic dipstick out it shows full for the oil reservoir.
    Thanks for any help.
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible

2. Member
    does it sound like pump it cavitating or sound like mtr is dragging, the old square mtrs were bad about going out ARCO makes an aftermarket kit with much better mtr for it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    The motor is round with the reservoir being square. For description only, it sounds like a cordless drill that's dieing right before it stops, so yes sounds like it's dragging when it's acting up. Guess it's time to replace it.
    The Bible

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely need to check all the connections, grounds, etc.

If you end up replacing- send me a couple pictures. Just had an engine come in this week with a REALLY clean trim system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ok. When ever the rain stops I'll be working on it.
    The Bible

6. Member
    pump.jpgsolenoids.jpg
    @EuropeanAM Here are some pictures any way. Ended up replacing one solenoid, the main power wire and cleaning the snot out of all the other connections with baking soda. Seams to have new life, will find out tomorrow. The pump sounds almost like new now. Round pump and reservoir. Oh yeah it rained on me while I was working on it, hence all the water. I really need to clean my shop up.
    The Bible

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That one's different than the one I have... but it's great that going through connections and a solenoid seems to have breathed new life into it. Often the case!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That one's different than the one I have... but it's great that going through connections and a solenoid seems to have breathed new life into it. Often the case!
    Yes sir it has, went fishing today and it did as it was supposed to do. Houston we have rooster tail again. Will be replacing the other solenoid in a day or two for principal. Thanks for responding!
    The Bible

9. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................