Thread: No Wayyy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No Wayyy

All public ramps and waterways shut down in SC ???

That's the rumor that I read about in The Lounge. Since your in Monck's Corner, at least you can launch at Black's, the Canal Motel, CJ's, Angel's, or other private ramps. The Ohio Gov. was threatening to do the same thing here if more people don't social distance. A few always have to ruin it for others. What I bet will happen is that, as an unintended consequence of shutting down the state ramps, more people will launch out of private ramps, making them far more crowded, resulting in less social distancing!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    How will the tourney circuits be handled ? Bassmaster suppose to be here in a couple weeks. Nice to hear from you Jeff, hope all is good up there.

4. Member
    Yes, all public closed. Fishermen were not the problem, but we are being effected by this action.

yup thanks to a-holes who can't follow the rules and ruin it for everyone

2009 ELITE 210

6. Member
    Is this just affecting the state owned lakes or is it on all lakes in the state? Illinois shut down all the state owned lakes a couple of weeks ago but some of our county lakes are still open...until our idiots get out there and have floating party's anyways. Most tournaments have been canceled or rescheduled but there's still some out there going on and they are posting stuff about them on facebook and who knows where else. It's a matter of time before we're sitting at home wondering why we can't fish anymore
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Is this just affecting the state owned lakes or is it on all lakes in the state?
    It's all public access to any waterway.

Thing is, yesterday the Oconee County Sheriff decided to shut down Fall Creek Access #2 (AKA Fall Creek B), before McMaster made the big decision. Probably smart thing to do, as anyone that knows anything about Fall Creek knows it has the tendency to be a complete shit-show. What were there last year, 4 or 5 drownings at Fall Creek?? Necks get drunk, try to swim to island, drown. This past weekend apparently saw mass congregations of people, locals and out of towners, having the beach and float parties normally seen in the summer months.

Like a lot of states, SC has it's share of "you can't tell me what to do!!" type of people. It kinda reminds me of the situation we had about 8 years ago with the Reedy River flowing through Falls Park in downtown. Well, people were wading and swimming in that section of the Reedy. DHEC put out signs and made public advisories that the Reedy River contains concentrated levels of E Coli and fecal coliform. Well again, "By God boy, if I wanna swim in shit that's what I'm gonna do and ain't nuthin you can do to stop me.."

The Covid-19 is a whole different animal though. You can get it and take it home to a loved one who may in turn not get thru it.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Now SC is on lock down for all non-essential business as well.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

9. Member
    [QUOTE=djb750;10983529]It's all public access to any waterway.

Thing is, yesterday the Oconee County Sheriff decided to shut down Fall Creek Access #2 (AKA Fall Creek B), before McMaster made the big decision. Probably smart thing to do, as anyone that knows anything about Fall Creek knows it has the tendency to be a complete shit-show. What were there last year, 4 or 5 drownings at Fall Creek?? Necks get drunk, try to swim to island, drown. This past weekend apparently saw mass congregations of people, locals and out of towners, having the beach and float parties normally seen in the summer months.

Yea I thought it was for all waterways. Ron White said it best "ya can't fix stupid". That sucks for you guys but i'm sure it'll happen everywhere in time. People just can't listen! Hell my mother in-law is 70 and not is the best health but she insist on going to the grocery store because in her words "I can't be cooped up in the house all the time". I've argued and argued with her that I will get whatever they need and leave it on the porch but she won't listen. The sad part is, my father in-law is 76, has bad COPD and is sick as hell with H1N1 as i type this and if she carries this shit home to him he'd never make it! Pisses me off but what do you do? Stay well buddy
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

10. Member
    You too brother. My father in law is 75 and also has COPD, so I understand the concern.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by Tohio View Post
    How will the tourney circuits be handled ? Bassmaster suppose to be here in a couple weeks. Nice to hear from you Jeff, hope all is good up there.
    Doing fine, even though all of my fishing plans are on hold for now!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    That's the rumor that I read about in The Lounge. Since your in Monck's Corner, at least you can launch at Black's, the Canal Motel, CJ's, Angel's, or other private ramps.
    Jeff, I'm not sure about being able to use those ramps.

I was thinking the same thing, a privately owned marina/ramp should be exempt. But my son has been doing some checking, the sticking point may be that the marina's lease the land from Santee Cooper Power, which while technically they aren't state owned, they're still a state agency.

Hope they can be open, we were planning on going this Saturday.

BTW, did you make your yearly trip down here?

13. Member
    If a marina can be used by the public in SC (paying a ramp fee for example), then it is closed under the order. If an individual lives on the lake and has a ramp on their private property, they can use it. Basically, all ramps are closed in the state to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by keoweeskeeter View Post
    If a marina can be used by the public in SC (paying a ramp fee for example), then it is closed under the order. If an individual lives on the lake and has a ramp on their private property, they can use it. Basically, all ramps are closed in the state to the public.
    Negative. If its a pay to launch ramp, owned by a private individual OR a marina, it is considered private and WILL be open. ALso, at this point, COE lakes are not affected by the ruling since they are Federal controlled.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

15. Member
    Keoweeskeeter, where are you getting this information? I talked to a SCDNR officer yesterday. Asked him is the lake closed? He said no, if you use a private ramp, on private property, then you are ok.

He suggested I use Dutchmans marina for Wateree(pay fee to launch).

So your telling me a private campground on Santee, with their own launch, not owned by the state, is still a NO GO?

"The order does not impact the rights of private property owners living on beaches, lakes, rivers, or waterways in any way."

I would consider a campground private property. If you have more information to share please DO!

16. Member
    I have personally talked to two marinas on Keowee. They are both privately owned and have a ramp where you pay a fee to launch. They are both closed. They both told me the same thing - since they allow the public to launch there by paying a fee, they are subject to the closure. One is Lake Keowee Marina and the other is Sunset Marina - check their facebook pages to see what they have said. Duke Energy Lake Services has also confirmed that every one of their ramps on Keowee is closed due to the governor's order. The order reads "public facilities" which means that if someone owns a ramp but they allow the public to use it for a fee it is subject to the closure.

17. Member
    Here's another example, this one from Lake Wylie:

https://www.tegacaysc.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=696

18. Member
    Just called Blacks Camp on Santee. He said their boat ramp is NOT closed. He confirmed with SCDNR that they were still able to be open.

19. Member
    Interesting - sounds like it is definitely not being interpreted/enforced uniformly. I don't have a facebook account but someone who does could post the question on the SC DNR page and see what they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast