Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seastar steering issue

I am experiencing some play in my seastar steering over the last couple weeks. It has a bouncing feel when I’m turning and seems sticky. Starting to get a little unsafe to drive, so I thought it needed some more fluid. I opened up the fill cap to check and fluid started running out so I closed it. My boat is on a downward slope so that might have something to do with it. Any suggestions to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Member
    Sounds like air in the system, may need to bleed and find out where the leak is.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Sounds like air in the system, may need to bleed and find out where the leak is.
    This^^^^. Get your boat to a level spot and check fluid level. Check underneath the helm for any leaks and check the end cap seals on the cylinder by the motor. More than likely if there’s a leak, it’ll be on the cylinder. Adjust your motor level and work the steering from far left to far right and look for any seepage around the seals on the end caps. Sounds like a little air in the system. If no visible leaks occur, then bleed. That should line you out.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. Is there any other fluid I could use for now besides the seastar fluid. Every place I check is going to take at least 2-3 weeks for shipping. Could I bleed it with another type of fluid and use it until the new stuff comes in?

Alright. This has been a subject discussed/argued over the ages. I use Dexron VI ATF in mine. It has near the same viscosity as SeaStar fluid and is 100% compatible with the Nitrile seals used in the SeaStar systems. Unhook your lines from the cylinder and work all the fluid out. Refill with Dexron VI. Bleed it good. When all air is out, fill the helm to the where the threads begins then screw your cap in. Done.

6. Member
    Is it not good to mix the two? Figured it would be easier to go through the bleed process instead of refilling everything

7. Member
    Also do you need to filler hose from seastar or can I just use a clear hose down into the helm?

You can make a filler hose and is a 1/4” threaded fitting. I used clear tubing and a funnel. Makes pouring in the ATF better. You could mix but it’s always best to use mainly the same fluid.

there are some good you tube videos on procedure and some good tips when doing by yourself.

10. Member
    Most likely air. Bleed. Not too hard to do with one man and some clear vinyl tubing. I add fluid to mine with the helm all the way to one side, then cap off.

11. Member
    Ok so my plan right now is to make my own filler hose and use ATF to purge the air out of the system so I can use it. I will order the right fluid and also a seal kit and will redo everything when those come in. I think this will allow me to at least fish in the 3 weeks that I am waiting for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    there are some good you tube videos on procedure and some good tips when doing by yourself.
    YouTube is a good choice. You can do it by yourself, but a second person makes it a lot easier.

13. Member
    I have been using Walmart marine power steering/trim and tilt fluid for a couple of years. It comes in a tube, easy to handle. About $4.00.

Either this, or similar. Can be used in tilt or power steering. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...-8-oz/16927999

14. Member
    It’s a sealed system. If it has air in it now and it did not have it before, it has had a leak. Turn wheel all the way to each side and put some pressure against it and see if it drips.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I have been using Walmart marine power steering/trim and tilt fluid for a couple of years. It comes in a tube, easy to handle. About $4.00.

Either this, or similar. Can be used in tilt or power steering. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...-8-oz/16927999
    Might want to check your Sea Star manual before using..

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Might want to check your Sea Star manual before using..
    Perhaps. Just because I use it doesn't mean it's approved, but it works for me, did this afternoon, again. It's better than air.

In an emergency, you could use water to get back to the ramp. Everyone has an opinion on fluids. About the “right” fluid. Well, it’s about viscosity and compatibility. I’ve talked and emailed SeaStar techs on several occasions. On a first name basis now. I’ve done my homework, extensively with them and other sources. You can buy several brands of fluids from aviation to ATF. As long as the VIS is in range and they are compatible with the seals, they will work. It’s whatever you think is best.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    In an emergency, you could use water to get back to the ramp. Everyone has an opinion on fluids. About the “right” fluid. Well, it’s about viscosity and compatibility. I’ve talked and emailed SeaStar techs on several occasions. On a first name basis now. I’ve done my homework, extensively with them and other sources. You can buy several brands of fluids from aviation to ATF. As long as the VIS is in range and they are compatible with the seals, they will work. It’s whatever you think is best.
    This stuff is Marine rated, and says it's good for all boat power steering (yeah I know there may be a slight difference) systems, and it has worked for about 3 years. Water would work of course but the expense of removing it so the pump and slave cylinder don't rust would drive me crazy, LOL. The reason I mention it is it's marine rated, inexpensive, easy to use because of the nozzle and readily available at a store near you. If I hadn't been personally using it I wouldn't have mentioned it. I'd think after 3 or 4 years if it was problematic I would have seen bad results.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    You can buy several brands of fluids from aviation to ATF. As long as the VIS is in range and they are compatible with the seals, they will work. It’s whatever you think is best.
    The reason for my comment about checking manual.
    A seal failure at the speeds some rigs are capable of is not a good way to find out if it was compatible. Much like running the oil that Merc recommends. it gives me some piece of mind.. I bought a bottle of that Sea Star (liquid gold) years ago and still have most of it..
    Just because I use it doesn't mean it's approved, but it works for me, did this afternoon, again. .
    Sounds as if your having to add this Walmart brand on a regular basis.. Might not be as compatible as you think.

You won’t have a seal failure from ATF....most ATFs actually have more lubrication properties for seals than the marine stuff.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast