Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ^^ I believe ATF was what Sea Star recomeneded as there second choice when needed.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    The reason for my comment about checking manual.
    A seal failure at the speeds some rigs are capable of is not a good way to find out if it was compatible. Much like running the oil that Merc recommends. it gives me some piece of mind.. I bought a bottle of that Sea Star (liquid gold) years ago and still have most of it..

Sounds as if your having to add this Walmart brand on a regular basis.. Might not be as compatible as you think.
    LOL. Why do you think I bought it? Actually, by design, all hydraulic systems have a slight loss due to their design. If they didn't the seals would fail due to lack of lube. I fish almost every day, perhaps 300+ days a year, so I accept some seepage, and I'm too lazy to replace the seals so I top the system off about every two months. Seepage is not going to catastrophically fail. I have not had to re bleed it yet. I'm cheap and lazy and 77.

3. Member
    For instance: Sea Star is not the only game in town. I suppose I'd pay the $27 a quart if they had an outlet near me. If it goes bad and I get killed I'll let you all know.
      • For use in power trim systems where ATF is recommended
      • Helps prevent corrosion, oxidation, and wear
      • Suitable for high-temperature applications
      • Made in USA Quicksilver's Power Trim and Steering Fluid is intended for use in power trim systems where ATF is recommended.

The reason for my comment about checking manual.
    A seal failure at the speeds some rigs are capable of is not a good way to find out if it was compatible.
    Trust me, I understand those speeds. That’s exactly why I done my homework. I do not want an incident due to ignorance on my part. That’s why I like talking to techs as well as reading product MSDS’s and collecting data from other sources.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    I needed to bleed some air from my system and after watching a You Tube video showing the Bubble Purge system I bought one..works great and no fluid leaking anywhere during the bleed

7. Member
    ^^ I believe ATF was what Sea Star recomeneded as there second choice when needed.
    ATF is their emergency recommendation when you cannot buy any Mil-HA5430H, but they recommend you replace the fluid with correct 1 afterwards.
    Seastar fluid is the same MSDS as airplane hydraulic fluid- Iso 15, if you have synthetic seals, or use Mystik jack oil with same MSDS Iso 22 with plenty zinc and other additive to keep seals and everything proper without worrying about synthetic or natural rubber. Flushed mine going on 4 yrs without any issues with 2 quarts from Grainger 8.00 each, just make sure you have plenty of rags since it is red and stains.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    LOL. Why do you think I bought it? Actually, by design, all hydraulic systems have a slight loss due to their design. If they didn't the seals would fail due to lack of lube. I fish almost every day, perhaps 300+ days a year, so I accept some seepage, and I'm too lazy to replace the seals so I top the system off about every two months. Seepage is not going to catastrophically fail. I have not had to re bleed it yet. I'm cheap and lazy and 77.
    300+ days/year....77!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomzRanger View Post
    300+ days/year....77!
    Well Tom, fishing is the most fun I can have a lot of LOL. Somehow I'm blessed with functionality, I have a 20 foot Stratos with a 175 Suzuki, I'm 6 foot 2 and weigh (too much) 285. I love to tournament fish but these State Governors keep killing that idea around here. Winter makes it defficult but if the water isn't frozen I'm usually out there but I ALWAYS wear my PFD.

10. Member
    If you have a small municipal airport in your area someone will carry aviation grade hydraulic fluid, every bit as good if not better then the Sea Star stuff but cheaper, it's also dyed red to make leaks easier to find.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obsession18 View Post
    If you have a small municipal airport in your area someone will carry aviation grade hydraulic fluid, every bit as good if not better then the Sea Star stuff but cheaper, it's also dyed red to make leaks easier to find.
    This is a good idea, but make sure is for natural rubber seals not synthetic ones, otherwise it will eat thru the seals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12