Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Yes, our small bass club had a T on Wateree Saturday. We had 15 boats. I spoke with the SCDNR and they said it was fine as long as we maintained our social distancing. In fact the DNR officer said fishing was a great way to enjoy outdoors and said go have fun.

Check in and weigh in we didn't have more than 3 people grouped together.

Really didn't see that many bass boats on the lake. What I did see was Tons of crappie boats! They weren't a problem, most had 1 or 2 people in the boat.

Later in the day, the pontoons, wake boats and ski boats towing kids in tubes came out. The most I counted in a pontoon was 8, most of the ski and wake boats had 4-5.

The Governor mandated no groups larger than 3 people. Trying to stop these boat parties and beach parties. People didn't listen! Now we all have to suffer.

The SC Governor made an exemption if you have a commercial fishing license or if you live on a lake or river. If I live on a lake, and have a ramp of my own, or if I have my boat already on a dock, perfectly fine for me to hop in and go party? Bigger lakes like Murray and Hartwell come to mind. Lake Murray has at least a thousand boats on docks and in marinas. The don't have any restrictions?

I understand probably not enforceable, and not enough boats or DNR officers, but i would have been fine max 3 people in boat and no beaching or tying together of boats.

If your going to bar the average fisherman, trying to stop spread of the virus, then the entire lake should be closed to recreation. I'm sure the lake front property owners are enjoying THEIR lake.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    It wasn't the fisherman it was the thousands of pleasure boaters on the water this weekend. Lake Hartwell was packed to the gills they were 70 boats on party island people out there getting drunk drinking that's what ruined it
    This along with several big turn out tournaments. I went by party island and thought as soon as I saw it that it was the beginning of the end. I knew it though.
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

It wasn't a very well planned mandate in my opinion. Totally points a finger at the folks that don't live on the waterways. If these transient boaters can't get on the waterways, they will just find another venue to do their partying and mingling. LEO's are going to be handling the same situation whether on water or land. These idiots that are assembling out in the open on the water are sure a lot easier to see and fine in my opinion.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    What South Carolina has done probably won't cure the problem anyway. I'd say the majority of the problem makers live on the lake anyway. Just drive past all the docks and see for yourself. Oh yes, and the marinas also. I don't think this applies to commercial ventures, so what about all of the pontoon rentals? This mandate is not straight across the board for all of the public.
    BULLSHIT! Every boat ramp was packed past the overflow. Them ain't the people living on the lake.
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

I was at CHICK over the weekend. Never know any epidemic was going on. The ramps was packed and so was the public fishing piers. Even seen 8 party boats tied together!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brownmaniac View Post
    BULLSHIT! Every boat ramp was packed past the overflow. Them ain't the people living on the lake.

From what I see on our lakes for the most part are the majority of boaters in the parking lots are fishermen. Sure there are some of the bigger boats and pontoons come by trailer. A lot of the boats that show up on the islands and sandbars are locals that live on the lake. The fishermen around here way outnumber the pleasure boaters especially during the weekdays. We'll see, won't we. Right now, it's not illegal to be on the lake, just can't use a public ramp. By the way, do you live on the lake or have property there?

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking. Just seemed like everyone had the same idea to go fishing.
    several days of 100 plus people on the pontoons and lounging on the beaches (lake Murray / Clarks Hill) and no social distancing. DNR and state police (SLED in SC) went to every ramp open last week and saw this party type atmosphere. so all public launch sites are closed (private ones are open or lake residents ramps / docks)
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    I was at CHICK over the weekend. Never know any epidemic was going on. The ramps was packed and so was the public fishing piers. Even seen 8 party boats tied together!!!
    for all the stupid (sorry to judge) people who are not taking care of themselves in this country...don't wish them badly but cmon pontoon people.....think!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dweber View Post
    Yea the lake has been insane the last 2 weekends. Looked like memorial day weekend.
    I fished Jocassee 2 weeks ago and it may as well have been any Saturday in June.
    Someone sent me a picture of Lake Keowee last saturday:

Lake Keowee b.png
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    I fished Jocassee 2 weeks ago and it may as well have been any Saturday in June.
    Someone sent me a picture of Lake Keowee last saturday:

Lake Keowee b.png
    That's the most muddy I've ever seen Keowee

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    From what I see on our lakes for the most part are the majority of boaters in the parking lots are fishermen. Sure there are some of the bigger boats and pontoons come by trailer. A lot of the boats that show up on the islands and sandbars are locals that live on the lake. The fishermen around here way outnumber the pleasure boaters especially during the weekdays. We'll see, won't we. Right now, it's not illegal to be on the lake, just can't use a public ramp. By the way, do you live on the lake or have property there?
    yes on Hartwell, and the past two weeks have looked like the 4th of July every day.. One of the big congregation spots is "party island" and its 100 yards from Broyels boat ramp. There were vehicles parked for half mile down the side street and both the parking and overflow parking was full. There is a big Luvs gas station near my house and you couldn't get in there for the people filling up their pleasure boats. Most people I know that live on the lake won't even get out on the water when the lake lice are out in full force. It's because there's nothing else left to do and everyone within three states are piling up on the closest lake. My buddy went to keowee to fish Saturday and said it was a total $h!t show as well.
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    No they haven't. Atleast not on Lanier and Allatoona.
    Nor Carters

After being on the lake Friday i knew it wouldn't be long. I seen what looked like 20-30 people congregated on a few of the popular party spots. Honestly what did you expect was going to happen!
    USMC Vet!

Arkansas governor is now considering closing state parks as too many people are congregating in them.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dweber View Post
    Yea the lake has been insane the last 2 weekends. Looked like memorial day weekend.
    Have been on Wylie for last 7 out of 10 days. Pontoon boats, wake boats loaded with people. If your gonna close it for the public then close it down to all lake traffic including private residence. Joe public (me) by myself is sidelined yet Joe Party who lives on the lake gets his neighborhood together on his pontoon boat at will. This sends a mixed signal and while it may cut down on the number of vessels on the lake I don't see it eliminating the crowded vessels.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234