Just bought a z9 need set up help

I have a 2015 Nitro Z9 twin 12 ft Tallons 10 inch manual jack plate 250 Mercury Opti Max pro xs. PTP height 3 1/2. I have tried a 24 fury best speed 65 but alot of rpm left. Tried a 25 t1 and a 26 tempest. Good hole shot. But top speed only 60 into the current out of the 26 tempest.This with full of fuel one person live well empty. This is nothing like my old Triton from what I am reading. What PTP height and prop Is best? I know someone has been thru this. Thinking should to be able to get 70 out of it atleast Because I know if I can get my top speed up I will have a good cruising speed around 50 at 4500 rpm. Instead of 35mph. With this hull design I don't know how much. I know full of fuel going out I will gain Rpm and speed as the tank gets lighter at the end of the day. The 24 fury # are half tank one person. Empty live well.

2. Member
    I have a 2013 Z9 with the same motor that you have. I am running about 66-67 fully loaded with 2 people and I do not have talons or PP. Similar PTP, with a 25 tempest. Before adding an Ultrex, I was running a 24v system and a lighter trolling motor and could get close to 70 loaded.

3. Member
    I had a 2013 Z-9 with a similar setup except I had two Power Pole Sportsman and I had a 10" Atlas hyrdo plate. The previous owner had a 25P Tempest Plus worked by DAH and the best I ever saw out of that boat was 70.3 MPH with me solo into a nice rippled on the water on a cooler day. Loaded with 2 people and 1/2 tank of full.....66 to 67 and that was it (which was no different than a 2006 929 CDX with a 225 Pro-XS that I had). Smooth riding and great fishing boat....but not a speed demon by any stretch.

4. Member
    Thanks for the information, I was just thinking it should get to 70. I sold my speed boat wanting to get bigger deck space. Trying to get use to it. Thanks again for the information.

5. Member
    Ypu may need to have your tach checked, it the past they can be off 400-500 rpms Vessel view is worth the money to give you exact rpm readings

I ran a 25p Tempest on my 2014 Z9. I got good lift out of it. Approx 3-3.5 below pad. The fury was not a good prop for me on those later years of the Z9. Very light the fury was faster, with a load the Tempest was faster.

I remember rpms being approx 5900. I saw 67-69, and had it at 70 during the colder months.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Thanks trying to locate me a prop. Now I really like the boat was ready to buy new but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it. I figured this boat and to then a 4 stroke later on. With it's gas tank size I should be able to get anywhere. Lol

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Struggling 1 View Post
    Thanks trying to locate me a prop. Now I really like the boat was ready to buy new but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it. I figured this boat and to then a 4 stroke later on. With it's gas tank size I should be able to get anywhere. Lol
    LOL...and back!!!

9. Member
    I am with BMCD, my 2013 ran best with a 25 Tempest. Tried a 24 and 25 Fury, but was not impressed with either of them. 3.25 below pad seemed to be the sweet spot with my boat. Two guys and tackle with 3/4 tank of gas it run 67-69, just me and light fuel it would hit 71-71.5. As stated not a speed demon, but the ride was excellent and the boat fished really well.

10. Member
    I'm coming from a Triton. The front deck on this boat is huge compared to what I'm use to. The only thing I'm trying to get use to is sitting up so high. The Triton I felt like I set in it. I can see better but just going to take time to get used to. Who do yaw recommend on taking with for a prop?

11. Member
    I've fished in a few Tritons and I always felt like I had to fall into the seats and need a lift getting out of them...lol. I have always been a fan on sitting up higher in the Nitros.
    As far as a prop...I'd talk to Mark Croxton...Mark's Prop Shop in Indiana. His turn around time is very quick and he's been doing props for a long time. The guy that I bought my 2013 from had the 25P Tempest Plus worked by DAH, which I am not very familiar with, but he did a good amount of research and testing before having them work that prop.

12. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....944&highlight=

Here is some info from the previous owner of my old boat...might be helpful?