Your comfortable distance when someone intentionally moves toward your fish

I hate the bent pole guys who move right on top when they see you land a fish. The distance I speak up is about 35 yards.
    My usual response is “ Hey, you are right on top of my fish!”
    It goes rapidly, and I mean extremely rapidly down hill from there.

one mile.
    Ranger Forever

3. Banned
    *******s. We call those people *******s.

4. Member
    Anyone on the lake is near my fish
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

5. Member
    start coughing and sneezing as you move towards them

I normally don't care....as long as you respond when spoken too. The guys that come in one me and won't even look at you or say anything are the ones I don't care for.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Dogfish_Jones
    I would say around 100'. I do my best to ignore those that come in around me but when they can get close enough for me to ask them to get any closer, it's too close.
    The people that get me is when you do catch a fish they come over to you and ask you what you are catching, my response then is nothing now that you just went across where the fish were.
    I will not go into an area where another boat is. I say that to a point, but I do get plenty far away from them where they have the chance to move in any direction and where I am at will not hinder them from fishing. To me that is a good 300' or so or a football field length from them.

8. Member
    Any closer than six feet you can shoot them these days.

9. Member
    Within shouting distance.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbott1958 View Post
    I hate the bent pole guys who move right on top when they see you land a fish. The distance I speak up is about 35 yards.
    My usual response is “ Hey, you are right on top of my fish!”
    It goes rapidly, and I mean extremely rapidly down hill from there.
    I would look down in the water to ask how you know those are yours. Are they tagged or color coded?

I would love a 100-300' distance. Rarely happens on our more popular lakes. Several years back I just started to keep on fishing if a boat cuts me off intentionally. If they are in my path I will cast all around their boat. If they complain then so be it. Not gonna argue and act a fool but also not gonna stop fishing if they pull in on me either.

12. Member
    Before I got older and mellowed out some, I would just keep fishing if they pulled in behind me. If I was fishing a bank and they pulled in less than a hundred yards in front of me, I would pull the trolling motor in, crank up and pull about 75 yds in front of them drop the trolling motor and keep fishing. They usually got the message. Now I would say " you guys cut pretty close in front of me when it was obvious I was fishing this stretch. I would appreciate you giving me more room as I would if you were here first.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

13. Member
    Honestly 50 yards is adequate. Though it kinda depends on the size of lake

14. Member
    I wish i had a 1oz sinker tied on last year. I woulda thumped a guy with it. I was fishing a small point on a short bank. Non tourney day. So no reason to be a dick. The guy came in on me not less than 10yrds from me and set down off plane right on top of me. Like seriously.... 10yrds. I looked over at him as he washed me out and gave him the clear WTF look. Water subsides and i move down the short bank and let him fish the point i just went over so almost 30yrds now... I smack a 3+ right in front of him and as i reach down to pick the fish up i hear his big motor crank. By the time i looked over (5 seconds tops) he hammered it down and washed me into the bank. Because i wasnt on my tm, i was pullin the hook out by the step up. I came unglued. Like... Bout to chase him down unglued! Then 2 older guys who had been fishing an opposite bank in the same cut (probably 300yrds away at least and respectful) putted over and said holy sh*t. That guy was an a$$hole. I was like... Ya think??!!? The old guys were like appalled! I was just angry. Luckily someone else seen it so that it just didn't seem like i was making it up. The older guys kinda talked me down as i was strappin my rods down to go on the chase. This whole ordeal lasted less than 5 mins. From the time he set down on me till he blew me into the bank. Not to mention scratched my boat... Grr. I wish my dad was still around cuz he was huge on boat ettiquite and he woulda probably straightened him out quick. It was almost unbelieveable. We arent talkin a small lake either. It was pool 12 of mississippi. Im respectful and if our paths cross fishing a bank i usually take the outside and go around people respectfully. Giving enough space and say hi. This guy didnt say a word and just pissed me off. Oh well. Sorry. Rant over. It was last june and id foegotten bout it till this thread started. Thanks. Haha

So the answer to your question is.. Thats too f****n close.

15. Member
    410 shotgun when someone dose it shoot it about ten feet from boat. Then say damn did you see how big that snake was

If they are close enough to throw a 1/2 OZ Rattle trap on their deck....do it! Nah, but I have asked. "one of you two want get in my boat?" or "If I can read your name Richard Head on your fishing license, you are pretty close to me", (must display in PA)
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

17. Member
    I’m pretty reserved so what I think Never comes out of my mouth. However I had an outspoken coangler before who asked these guys if they wanted to follow us to the next spot because we were moving and obviously they needed someone to find the fish for them. Then every time we passed them the coangler would get their attention flip them off and call them poachers.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I just expect someone to leave me the area I am casting to. If they choose to cross the area I am casting to I just keep on casting there. One guy stole my worm rig and all the line off my spool and then started yelling that I messed up his TM. Go figure, I'm the bad guy? Plenty of other spots on the river so I just waved and moved on to my next one. I believe it makes them even madder if you pretty much ignore them and they are definitely not worth me losing any sleep over.

If I am fishing a rock out cropping the size of a boat I don't care until they cast on it and where I am at that doesn't happen. If I am fishing a feature that is large I don't care until we can hit each other's cast or if they change to what I am throwing I get pissy.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

It’s strange I seem to only have friendly run ins with other fishermen, I must be doing something wrong .