Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    It does not say and, it says or. Putting unit in gear does not require both to be true. You don't have to be behind the console to shift into gear. Again for the slow learners, gently push gear shift, if it does not go into gear easy, walk back to prop and spin it about an inch and it should go easy. If it still don't go then spin it another inch or so. All you are doing is lining up the dogs on the clutch to align with the slots. Don's point is to not force anything, just use a little common sense.
    Holy crap man. Climb down off that high horse you put yourself on before you fall and get hurt. My post was to outline exactly what Don said, in black and white, nothing more. I fully understand how the clutch dogs work. This whole argument is dumb, really dumb. Embarrassed I fell for it.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

2. Member
    I leave mine in gear, just shut it down in gear after loading on the trailer. My manual from Mercury says to leave it in gear while towing but what the heck do they know.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

3. Member
    In my mind Marc Marcantonio is correct. I don't know about all outboards, but I have one old one that will release and tilt up if you strike something in Forward gear. It stays locked down in Neutral and Reverse. It would make sense that if when trailering and hit something, if it was in Forward the motor would tilt up. Thus, causing less damage. I am thinking that may only be the case with outboards without power trim?

4. Member
    Do you shift it into gear after you shut off the engine and deploy the trolling motor? Of course not. Why would you? The prop on my boat turns constantly as I troll around fishing. If it was gonna be a problem, it would have surfaced by now. It’s a 2003 4s Yamaha.

^^did you read post # 51 ? just asking. ^^

Very few place in gear while fishing-- however Its not a bad idea when fishing with someone that's prone to get there line in the prop.
    The problem with the prop turning (if it does) on the trailer vs in water is explained in #51

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    I leave mine in gear, just shut it down in gear after loading on the trailer. My manual from Mercury says to leave it in gear while towing but what the heck do they know.
    Thanks; seems people nowadays don't like to listen to older people who were actually around and know from experience how some things got started...
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    Neutral for me, with a Mercury Racing Prop cover made by a guy on Scream & Fly......None of my props rotate, while trailering....Logo on the cover is always straight and level when I get home!

Do whatever floats your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    Do you shift it into gear after you shut off the engine and deploy the trolling motor? Of course not. Why would you? The prop on my boat turns constantly as I troll around fishing. If it was gonna be a problem, it would have surfaced by now. It’s a 2003 4s Yamaha.
    Good point never even considered it. Neutral for me theres zero need for in gear while towing. Like said in post #51 the new merc V8 motors are electric shift so nothing happens unless its running so all these smart guys thinking they putting it in gear and in reality its still in neutral lol.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 04-04-2020 at 12:36 AM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Good point never even considered it. Neutral for me theres zero need for in gear while towing. Like said in post #51 the new merc V8 motors are electric shift so nothing happens unless its running so all these smart guys thinking they putting it in gear and in reality its still in neutral lol.
    You reply to him, good point. And you throw in, these smart guys.
    How many in this thread do you think actually have the newer Mercury?
    You really don't see a difference while a motor is in the water, and while it is in tow?
    But try and knock others in replies?

Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    You reply to him, good point. And you throw in, these smart guys.
    How many in this thread do you think actually have the newer Mercury?
    You really don't see a difference while a motor is in the water, and while it is in tow?
    But try and knock others in replies?
    I meant that i didnt think about the prop spinning in the water which it does ive seen it but its a non issue as well. No not everyone on here has a newer mercury but you can bet there are some that do and try putting it in gear not knowing that they are doing absolutely nothing and its still in neutral. Ill be more specific alot of people worry about really unecessary stuff sometimes.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234