Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Forward
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

OMG-- The amount of misinformation is amazing .

3. Member
    I had only looked in my manual trouble shooting when my first coil went out. Dug it out, even though I ain't much of a reader. Page 29 of my manual does say at the bottom after stuff about tilt/trim system. To, Shift the outboard to forward gear. This prevents the propeller from spinning freely.
    That's in the Transporting, Trailering Boat/ Outboard, section.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Before you belittle someone you might want to know that the water pump sits on the drive shaft and absolutely does not spin with the lower unit in neutral. It will only spin with the motor running.
    With that being said, I tow mine in Neutral, always have, always will. I’ve asked buddies who were following if my prop ever spun, nope, even at speed up to 85mph. Lol
    Yeah I know better but wasn't thinking or trying to be little anyone ,

5. Member
    With that being said, I tow mine in Neutral, always have, always will. I’ve asked buddies who were following if my prop ever spun, nope, even at speed up to 85mph. Lol
    Reminded me of the last time I went fast while towing, because I normally tow 65 in the right lane of the interstate. But me and the second wife fished Lake Toho, before we split. But there was something that we were going to enter on the computer by a certain time that day. I was trying to get home in time. Got caught, got a ticket, and don't think we made it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I’ve been wanting one of those! Thanks for posting!
    I cut the straps off and it fits my 4 blade prop nice and snug.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Yeah I know better but wasn't thinking or trying to be little anyone ,
    Sure sounded like it but it’s cool man.
    250bassFL, I don’t normally tow at that speed, 70 is usually max if its a 75 limit, we were out running a big nasty storm bearing down our 6 that was closing roads behind us. Totally straight highway and didn’t maintain that for very long.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I've really never even thought about it. Have always towed with it in neutral. Gonna keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I cut the straps off and it fits my 4 blade prop nice and snug.
    I have a big 4 blade.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

10. Member
    Me to Neutral.

YES-- Some Merc manuals say to tow in gear
    YES-- there are a FEW bass boats the prop will spin (If everything is just right) I had one.
    YES -- the prop will spin in the water.. Thats why when the kid gets line tangled it starts wrapping and they think its a fish.

NO-- You will not ruin the LU putting in gear- turn the prop when resistance is felt. If forced; .odds are something in the linkage will give first.
    NO--- the impeller will not turn from the prop spinning.
    NO-- it wont do any less damage to a motor if it hits the ground when in forward.
    NO-- the concern is not about gear wear... Its the shaft spinning on a dry rear seal that's got road grime in it, causing grooved shaft and seal failure.

If you have the one in 50,000 that does spin...tow in gear-- If not there is no reason to not leave in neutral.
    Besides if you have a digital control LU like all the new V8's its not an option.. They will not go in gear unless motor is running.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    YES-- Some Merc manuals say to tow in gear
    YES-- there are a FEW bass boats the prop will spin (If everything is just right) I had one.
    YES -- the prop will spin in the water.. Thats why when the kid gets line tangled it starts wrapping and they think its a fish.

NO-- You will not ruin the LU putting in gear- turn the prop when resistance is felt. If forced; .odds are something in the linkage will give first.
    NO--- the impeller will not turn from the prop spinning.
    NO-- it wont do any less damage to a motor if it hits the ground when in forward.
    NO-- the concern is not about gear wear... Its the shaft spinning on a dry rear seal that's got road grime in it, causing grooved shaft and seal failure.

If you have the one in 50,000 that does spin...tow in gear-- If not there is no reason to not leave in neutral.
    Besides if you have a digital control LU like all the new V8's its not an option.. They will not go in gear unless motor is running.
    Thanks for the info.
    I use to always tow in neutral before that with all my boats. Grew up here in Florida fishing, and never would read the manuals when getting different boats and motors. And only had two lower unit seal issues before this. So in 2018 it totally surprised me when I was called to come in and look at damage, and figure out what option I want to go with. I was already stressed out from having to replace the plumbing of my old 1941 shack, after getting 2 water bills in the hundreds. Then a big tree limb falling on my house, going through the roof of it.20181021_082610.jpg

20181021_154103-1.jpg
    So needed to get out and fish and relieve stress. That didn't work either.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Don Weed mention to someone on a post to never shift your outboard unless it is running, he is the zen master and we are mere pupils.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don Weed mention to someone on a post to never shift your outboard unless it is running, he is the zen master and we are mere pupils.
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Care to find and post where Mr Weed made this comment ??
    NEVER is a pretty strong word..

Trust me Don knows how to put one in gear.. Most likly does it everytime he drops a LU.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Care to find and post where Mr Weed made this comment ??
    NEVER is a pretty strong word..

Trust me Don knows how to put one in gear.. Most likly does it everytime he drops a LU.
    Found this one. Take it as you may. Personally I don’t care what a guy does. I’ll keep doing what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

NEVER attempt to shift your engine into gear, UNLESS IT IS RUNNING, OR THE PROPSHAFT IS SPINNING.

Attempting to shift a stationary gearcase can result in damage to shift linkages or gearcase!

16. Member
    Neutral for me.

17. Member
    Found this one. Take it as you may. Personally I don’t care what a guy does. I’ll keep doing what I do.
    "OR THE PROP SHAFT IS SPINNING". A little common sense would go a long way.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    "OR THE PROP SHAFT IS SPINNING". A little common sense would go a long way.
    Ya don’t say... funny how you left out the other half of the quote. Notice how I didn’t cherry pick it???
    Not sure my arms are long enough to put my motor in gear from the console AND spin the prop.

19. Member
    It does not say and, it says or. Putting unit in gear does not require both to be true. You don't have to be behind the console to shift into gear. Again for the slow learners, gently push gear shift, if it does not go into gear easy, walk back to prop and spin it about an inch and it should go easy. If it still don't go then spin it another inch or so. All you are doing is lining up the dogs on the clutch to align with the slots. Don's point is to not force anything, just use a little common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    gently push gear shift, if it does not go into gear easy, walk back to prop and spin it about an inch and it should go easy. If it still don't go then spin it another inch or so. All you are doing is lining up the dogs on the clutch to align with the slots. Don's point is to not force anything, just use a little common sense.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast