Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Neutral. Your prop doesn’t spin while trailering if you leave it in neutral lol
    Mine did on my 250, and the seal would not seat on the propshaft because of the groove in the stainless steel it leaves.
    But that was just one of my many issues my lower unit had. But I believe my certified Mercury mechanic said the manual said tow in gear. I think it was him. But he did tell me never tow in neutral. Said propshafts ain't steel like they used to be on the old motors.

This seems to come up really regularly and lots of folks seem to have opinions on it. I personally leave it in neutral because shifting it would be one more thing to do and I am 100% confident that it makes no difference whatsoever.

If that prop spinning around a bit going down the highway is doing damage (assuming it actually spins - I've only ever seen props spin on the highway on small outboards, usually on pontoons where the prop is directly being hit by the wind), we really need to think about the pieces of junk we're paying big bucks for then trusting to get us across the lake. I also would guess I've put a bunch of wear on my lower unit while I'm on the trolling motor or drifting in current causing the prop to slowly spin, and this isn't even mentioning all the times I've walked behind the boat and gave it a quick spin as I walk by!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

For a bass boat and most runabouts that have a normal hull, neutral will be fine since very little, if any air gets to the prop and it never turns. Now on a pontoon, the air is funneled into the prop and it will spin like crazy. On those, I put it in forward gear.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Don Weed mention to someone on a post to never shift your outboard unless it is running, he is the zen master and we are mere pupils.
    This, Don says don't shift when not running so it stays in N, never had an issue with it.

5. Member
    20200330_193830.jpg
    Even towed with a prop lock on my transom saver for years till it broke.
    Aries3.jpg
    But it's a bass boat.
    20170624_124725-2.jpg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    This, Don says don't shift when not running so it stays in N, never had an issue with it.
    LOL, he means for you not to force it. If it won't go in gear with gentle pressure, move prop an inch or so and try again. You simply need to align the lugs with the slots on the clutch. Nothing wrong with putting it in gear as long as you don't try to force it.

[QUOTE=DrewFlu33;10980783 this isn't even mentioning all the times I've walked behind the boat and gave it a quick spin as I walk by! [/QUOTE]

And I thought I was the only one who did this ha.

Neutral

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Neutral, and this year I added a bright orange and reflective striped prop cover. Maybe it will save me from a texting idiot hitting the back of my boat, most likely not.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat...72.m2749.l2649

I’ve been wanting one of those! Thanks for posting!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by brucekgreen View Post
    Why would it matter if it spins i trailer in neutral
    The wear on the water pump is what you should be worried about , if you have nothing better to be worried about in your life .

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    The wear on the water pump is what you should be worried about , if you have nothing better to be worried about in your life .
    The water pump does not spin when the motor is not running... it is attached to the drive shaft, not the lower unit, that's why you can spin the prop by hand when in neutral.

I have seen some of the larger fishing boats that sit high enough on the trailer that the motor does not need to be trimmed up, spin while running down the hwy, but rarely see a standard bass boat spin much at all.

I feel that the amount of spin, if any, is so minimal compared to that of when you are running, that is not going to make a difference.

I mainly see Pontoons that do this while trailering. Have never put any of my boats in gear for towing.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Either when dry land towing. When you tow a boat that has been broke down, take all the passengers to your boat and raise the motor to reduce drag.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    IF the prop did spin while towing......it would have no load on the gears.....IF....I tow in neutral.....

15. Member
    Neutral, same as when I'm fishing and running the trolling motor. I figure the prop is more likely to turn a little with water flowing over the blades than with air. But I don't figure it matters either way.

For an experiment, I had my buddy (we call him ugly Chuck) stick his head under water to view the prop while I was on the troll motor. We were fishing a tournament but it was later in the day and the fish had stopped biting. He came up and said, "Yep, it's turning!" One of the other guys saw ugly Chuck with his head in the water and filed a protest on us. Said Chuck was scaring the fish so bad they were temporarily stunned and we were scooping them up with a net.

16. Banned
    on bigger outboards, with a stainless prop, the prop is not going to turn. When i towed my small bassboat with a 9.9hp, and aluminum prop, I towed it in forward gear. The lighter aluminum prop can sometimes spin.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Neutral, and this year I added a bright orange and reflective striped prop cover. Maybe it will save me from a texting idiot hitting the back of my boat, most likely not.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat...72.m2749.l2649

^^^I LIKE THAT!^^^

18. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Idk if its right or wrong but I always put mine in forward when towing also. Had a old timer tell me when I was younger I should and have always done it
    I remember seeing Rolando Wilson do this on his show, put reverser forward. I always thought it might be just to have the handle under the gunnel so nothing can get caught on it. Me, neutral. I would think with the lower unit engaged might impart so impact on the gears bouncing down the road.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. Member
    Before you belittle someone you might want to know that the water pump sits on the drive shaft and absolutely does not spin with the lower unit in neutral. It will only spin with the motor running.
    With that being said, I tow mine in Neutral, always have, always will. I’ve asked buddies who were following if my prop ever spun, nope, even at speed up to 85mph. Lol
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

20. Member
    LMAO, now that is funny.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast