Sam Rayburn spawn?

So I have been watching every Ken Smith YouTube video and lurking a bit on this thread to educate myself a bit on Rayburn for maybe a trip next year. Is this year much different than past years relative to the spawn timing? Ken's last video mentioned he was still catching pre spawn females. Thanks for any feedback. Steve
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

I would imagine that the spawn is long over by now. I was seeing fingerlings a couple months ago over here.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    I would imagine that the spawn is long over by now. I was seeing fingerlings a couple months ago over here.
    It takes several months for all those females to do their thing, they come up in waves. The Spawn in most areas is still going on, I saw bass fry three weeks ago here and saw small fish on beds yesterday and will continue for a while. Long over by now is a long way off.

Not unusual to see fish on beds in May in Texas.

5. Member
    Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

6. Banned
    I've caught bed fish on Fork and Eagle Mt. in June

7. Member
    I was over at Rayburn for four days last week and the fish were in pre-spawn, spawn and post spawn. I don't think the timing is any different than any other year, it all depends on a few things such as the weather, the amount of rain we have and mostly this time of year the moon phase. I have seen females full of eggs before here at T-Bend in November that probably spawned in December and have also seen fish in the shallows at Rayburn in May, it's all a toss up.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratltrap View Post
    I was over at Rayburn for four days last week and the fish were in pre-spawn, spawn and post spawn. I don't think the timing is any different than any other year, it all depends on a few things such as the weather, the amount of rain we have and mostly this time of year the moon phase. I have seen females full of eggs before here at T-Bend in November that probably spawned in December and have also seen fish in the shallows at Rayburn in May, it's all a toss up.
    Your responses are all great pieces of information. I plan on coming down end of March (full moon is the 29th I believe) next year. Thx again.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

Before it got plum crazy and everyone started bed fishing. a group of us firemen went to Fork the first week of April. In the five years we did this we always found bedding fish (somewhere) on the lake.. Depending on there winter and weather conditions they may have been at the upper end--lower end or mid lake..
    But not all Texas lakes are like that..

im sure the next full moon u will see another wave. I also think the water coming up is making beds hard to see.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I also think the water coming up is making beds hard to see.
    that's a very good point.

I've seen and caught fish on beds in 6' of water in a deep, clear, creek arm pocket on T Bend in late April before. That was in overall conditions of the lake not catching much Spring rain that year.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

12. Member
    Yeah the spawn is a long way from being over!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

It may not be over for you northerners, but I ran out of bedding fish before the quarantine started. That was on the southern end of Choke Canyon. I was about to start fishing my way north (Medina, Belton, and maybe Amistad) when we got locked down.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

14. Member
    If it isnt over it isnt far from it. They started spawning in jan before it got cold and went on and off till it warmed up. March will be a good bet for most years.