Thread: 4 blade Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 blade Help

Procraft 215 Pro-Combo
    225 Opti

P/O had a 19p Hi-Five that had zero top end and didn’t hold in the turns. RPM at w.o.t was 5900 and ran 45mph gps on a good day. Yesterday I swapped to a Solas Rubex HR4 23p. Now the boat is very slow out of the hole, engine sounds extremely labored, but once it gets up she runs great. Best I could muster in a medium chop was 53 and had more to go but couldn’t keep the stern planted, felt very squirrelly and very difficult to turn. anyone have thoughts?

I think that boat craves bow lift. Test a known good 23P Tempest Plus and check motor height and start at 3.5 in below the pad.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Thanks, so you’re thinking stay away from 4 blades in general due to their natural stern lift.

Thats my suggestion to test a good 3 blade. Adjust pvs plugs to see 3800 rpms on holeshot. Check motor height.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Thats my suggestion to test a good 3 blade. Adjust pvs plugs to see 3800 rpms on holeshot. Check motor height.
    Your HighFive Sport series was 13.5" diameter x 19 p , and Solas Rubex HR4 is 14" x 23p with 4 blades, so though you went up in pitch but removed 1 blade the RPM should have been fairly close.
    I don't know about the quality of a Solas, but I know that Mercury is very good.
    I run a Trophy Plus 13 3/4" x 25p no ring and solid PVS, worked by Croxton on '03 Merc 225 EFI turning 56-5700 RPM with about 7 sec holeshot, excellent hold on turns, no issues with bow lift.
    BTW, '02 Cobra 201 DC similar type hull I believe.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Your HighFive Sport series was 13.5" diameter x 19 p , and Solas Rubex HR4 is 14" x 23p with 4 blades, so though you went up in pitch but removed 1 blade the RPM should have been fairly close.
    I don't know about the quality of a Solas, but I know that Mercury is very good.
    I run a Trophy Plus 13 3/4" x 25p no ring and solid PVS, worked by Croxton on '03 Merc 225 EFI turning 56-5700 RPM with about 7 sec holeshot, excellent hold on turns, no issues with bow lift.
    BTW, '02 Cobra 201 DC similar type hull I believe.
    How much does that Cobra weigh? Plenty of bow lift out that 4 blade?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basski View Post
    How much does that Cobra weigh? Plenty of bow lift out that 4 blade?
    total on water tourney @ 2450#, and hanging on a 10" Slidemaster second hole, 2 7/8" P to P

I gave Mark Croxton all the details of my set up, and the man worked magic on both my Trophy Plus and Tempest plus, since he added all the rake I needed to keep that bow just right.
    I have just picked up a 26"p Trophy Plus that I will be trying out Lord willing when the chinese virus is out of NYS, snd may be sending it over to Mark to have blueprinted and balanced plus whatever else I may need to fit my needs since I am setting it up for cooler temps.

BTW, when was last time you had a tech pull stats out of that motor to check for codes and any issues?

8. Member
    What is your PTP? Motor offset/jack plate? Those hulls are not speed demons but you should be able to get that beast up to 62-64 mph with the right set up. That hull needs a ton of bow lift as the cockpit is very far forward. That motor should be able to spin a 25p Tempest + just fine depending on how loaded your boat is. You could try one then send to Mark to have it BnB. Looking at your set up now it seems to me you are way under propped and should be over revving. Something doesn’t add up.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    What is your PTP? Motor offset/jack plate? Those hulls are not speed demons but you should be able to get that beast up to 62-64 mph with the right set up. That hull needs a ton of bow lift as the cockpit is very far forward. That motor should be able to spin a 25p Tempest + just fine depending on how loaded your boat is. You could try one then send to Mark to have it BnB. Looking at your set up now it seems to me you are way under propped and should be over revving. Something doesn’t add up.
    Sorry, new to this. What is PTP? No jackplate, mounted directly to the transom. Low to mid 60’s is what I’m expecting and i was surprised the 19p only revved to 5900, but figured was because it’s a 5 blade.

10. Member
    Sorry, new to this. What is PTP? No jackplate, mounted directly to the transom. Low to mid 60’s is what I’m expecting and i was surprised the 19p only revved to 5900, but figured was because it’s a 5 blade.
    Prop to pad. Measure with boat level, cav plate level, distance from center of output shaft to bottom of pad. Good starting point is 3.5” below. That beast needs a 10” jack plate to get her going.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Prop to pad. Measure with boat level, cav plate level, distance from center of output shaft to bottom of pad. Good starting point is 3.5” below. That beast needs a 10” jack plate to get her going.
    If the hull under the transom on the Procraft is like the Viper Cobra with the small tunnel, I would go with an 8" JP, and the 3.5" would be a good start.
    Did your Coral come with JP?
    My '02 Cobra 201DC came with an 8" Slidemaster JP from factory, and I swapped it out for 10", which that put my set back measure to 45.875" at times making me wonder if the fulcrum point to the hull is a tad much hence I had to add rake to both props to keep bow up where I want. I am going to leave it alone since I may be going to 250hp next.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    If the hull under the transom on the Procraft is like the Viper Cobra with the small tunnel, I would go with an 8" JP, and the 3.5" would be a good start.
    Did your Coral come with JP?
    My '02 Cobra 201DC came with an 8" Slidemaster JP from factory, and I swapped it out for 10", which that put my set back measure to 45.875" at times making me wonder if the fulcrum point to the hull is a tad much hence I had to add rake to both props to keep bow up where I want. I am going to leave it alone since I may be going to 250hp next.
    My Coral has a 8” JP. The ProCraft does not have a step hull and have seen several set up with 10” JP. A guy could probably do an 8”. The ProCraft is more nose heavy than my Coral, but it does have an inset transom.

14. Member
    FD70970A-43F9-45B0-B1E6-3A89659B758F.jpeg
    PTP is 5.5” so appears I need to get the motor up on the transom a bit. Time for a jackplate for sure. Also, that appears to be a stepped hull. Am I correct?

15. Member
    PTP is 5.5” so appears I need to get the motor up on the transom a bit. Time for a jack plate for sure. Also, that appears to be a stepped hull. Am I correct?
    Yes, it does have a small step of what look like 1.5", and it is a set in transom about 6". Did you take your P to P measurement at bottom of drain? It would change things if you took it at the step, which is not your final pad. BTW, your boat is a very heavy boat about 2800 # rigged, so if you add other things may be well into 3K + #.
    BTW, this is what I was talking about a tunnel on my rig.13.JPG
    Last edited by digthemup; 04-04-2020 at 07:37 PM.

16. Member
    PTP was taken at the pad, not the drain. Yeah She’s no lightweight.

17. Member
    PTP was taken at the pad, not the drain. Yeah She’s no lightweight.
    OK, subtract the step from 5.5", or do the measurement over. I believe that you will be around 4", which is a safe common set up from factory.
    Regardless, the JP will help you with getting the most out of it, especially if you plan spending some time to make the adjustment, however, I would go with an 8" max and mount your motor on the second hole to the JP starting with 3.5" under the drain hole, which is where that boat runs when on plane. Try keeping as much weight to the rear, and perhaps you will be better served with a good quality prop like a Trophy Plus in 21"p no ring PVS solid. You can also try moving the motor up 1 hole if it is currently mounted on the first hole, that will take 3/4" from your current P to P.
    Keep that Hi Five for skiing or pulling tubes, since it may serve you in that aspect.

18. Member
    PTP is 5.5” so appears I need to get the motor up on the transom a bit. Time for a jackplate for sure. Also, that appears to be a stepped hull. Am I correct?
    Yup, that thing is baby stepped. Huh, memory failed me. digthemup gave some good advice on set up.

19. Member
    Hey Idaho,
    Did your Coral come with a JP from Viper?
    Does it have a tunnel like my Cobra 201 DC? -See post 15

That tunnel helps me run at 2 7/8" P to P with tons of water pressure, specially since my lower unit has low water pick up, though she does need to be properly piloted past 65 mph.

20. Member
    Why would I need to measure again or subtract the step? The PTP measurement was taken exactly as the diagram above, from the pad, not transom. So the 5.5” is the correct measurement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast