seal installation tool

0g654534. Read it before and wrote it down but...What is the number of the prop shaft seal installation tool? 98 200 EFI

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have the bearing carrier retainer wrench? The installation tool requires the carrier be removed first.

31108T is the seal driver/tool for the STANDARD gearcase models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don! I do have the bearing carrier wrench and the standard gear case but have been installing seals with a home made device. I have a persistent water leak from the prop shaft and am concerned that I might be installing seals wrong. I have experienced numerous fishing line pickups (not mine). I'll have to take a closer look for damage on the shaft itself. Are there any "tricks of the trade" for the use of this device?
    Last edited by blackboat; 03-31-2020 at 09:21 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not really- deepest/1st seal faces LIP IN (use red liquid loctite on outer bore of seal if METAL).

Last (2nd) seal faces LIP OUT (same applies as above).

Tool permits you to simply drive the seal down to the correct depth (while indexing in the carrier bearing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor