Lowrance + xi5 or Garmin + minnkota ultrex?

New to the forum. Looks like a good one. I’m getting back to fishing after about 30 years. I last fished out of a stick steer Tarpon with a flasher. I live right off of Bob Sandlin/Monticello in NorthEast Texas and about 45 minutes from Lake Fork.

Buying a really well kept but ‘99 model 18’9” Ranger with Mercury 175. Everything in nice condition but old tech. A reputable dealer has it and are going through everything getting it ready. They will install whatever gear I buy for no installation fee and their prices seem in line with Bass Pro Shop. They are a lowrance dealer. The boat has a flasher at drivers seat and the front and a small old small lowrance graph and flasher at the steering wheel. I don’t mind putting a few thousand into it to upgrade the gadgetry into this decades technology.

Being a Lowrance dealer they are offering Lowrance 7ti2 for the front and a 9ti for the back. I saw where these can interface with the motorguide xi5 for routes and such. It appears that these two graphs and the xi 5 would run something like $3750 altogether. From what I can tell, the similar Garmin/ minnkota setup would be about $4500 plus I wouldn’t get free installation.

I have given thought to only putting the 9ti at the drivers seat and the xi5 trolling motor, then fish from the back controlling the trolling motor with the remote.

I also have given thought to just using it a little as is before upgrading, but I hate to go less than prepared for what little is left of this springs fishing.

Is the Garmin stuff superior?

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with someone who is a rookie with all the new gadgetry.

2. Member
    I do not have experience with all those. I do have a Force and really like all the integration. Handheld remote, wireless foot pedal, and optional control bar on the MFD. I use them all.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Thanks for the response Winchester!

Since my posts this morning I have done lots of digging and have come to the impression that linking the fish finder to one of the automated trolling motors doesn't seem to bring much advantage. An automated trolling motor with its standard controller seems to be a great device without being connected to any other device. If I’m missing something I hope someone will chime in and educate me. They are beginning to get my boat ready and I had to make a decision relatively quickly or miss April on Lake Fork.

I decided to put a Lowrance 7ti2 at the trolling motor and a Lowrance 9ti2 with side view at the drivers seat. The boat has a really nice foot operated minnkota trolling motor that I hate to throw away. I am going to star out with this and see how it goes with the idea of using a Minnkota Ultrex later on.

I hope to get my boat and be fishing within a week or so.

FWIW, I think you made a wise decision to focus on the graph installations at the console & bow versus integrating a new trolling motor on just one. I had both graphs (HB) with a MK Terrova and iPilot that did offer some advantages with being able to record routes and follow contours but there's additional map cards that are needed too. Since changing boats and with limited funds, I've been upgrading by current boat a piece at a time. I had the dealer remove the Fortrex in favor of the Ultrex. For the first season I fished with 2 small 5" graphs at the console and bow that came w/the boat to get me going. Last season I upgraded the console graph to a Garmin and this season upgrading the bow graph with a larger Helix (to link with the Ultrex) and actually SEE the graph.
    Your decision allows you to get in and fish with up to date tech and see what you like or don't like. The technology is constantly changing as a result of the market size and competition benefiting the consumer.
    Just my 2 cents..

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    The boat has a really nice foot operated minnkota trolling motor that I hate to throw away. I am going to star out with this and see how it goes with the idea of using a Minnkota Ultrex later on.
    I understand your decision. It took me a long time to decide to ditch a Minn Kota Maxxum because of all the interference I got from it. I think that you'll see that the integration with MFD's is going to be very useful and competitive.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.