Lowrance + Motorguide xi5 or Garmin + Minkota ultrex

New to the forum. Looks like a good one. I’m getting back to fishing after about 30 years. I last fished out of a stick steer Tarpon with a flasher. I live right off of Bob Sandlin/Monticello in NorthEast Texas and about 45 minutes from Lake Fork.

Buying a really well kept but ‘99 model 18’9” Ranger with Mercury 175. Everything in nice condition but old tech. A reputable dealer has it and are going through everything getting it ready. They will install whatever gear I buy for no installation fee and their prices seem in line with Bass Pro Shop. They are a lowrance dealer. The boat has a flasher at drivers seat and the front and a small old small lowrance graph and flasher at the steering wheel. I don’t mind putting a few thousand into it to upgrade the gadgetry into this decades technology.

Being a Lowrance dealer they are offering Lowrance 7ti2 for the front and a 9ti for the back. I saw where these can interface with the motorguide xi5 for routes and such. It appears that these two graphs and the xi 5 would run something like $3750 altogether. From what I can tell, the similar Garmin/ minnkota setup would be about $4500 plus I wouldn’t get free installation.

I have given thought to only putting the 9ti at the drivers seat and the xi5 trolling motor, then fish from the back controlling the trolling motor with the remote.

I also have given thought to just using it a little as is before upgrading, but I hate to go less than prepared for what little is left of this springs fishing.

Is the Garmin stuff superior?

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with someone who is a rookie with all the new gadgetry.
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 03-30-2020 at 11:13 AM.

I guess since I just now registered, people are afraid that I might be scamming. I’m simply trying to get somefolkstosharetheir experience.

3. Banned
    Personally I wouldn't put anything on my boat but the MG tour and a power pole for positioning. I like cable trolling motors. Graphs are a personal choice you will need to go see a few like at BPS that are running to see which one you like.

Thanks Gunny!

5. Member
    I'm trying to make the similar decision for my Stratos 290 SF. Bought a 9ti so I could use wifi to repeat screen at the helm on an ipad. That works pretty good for a diverse boat that's used 40 boating / 60 fishing. I'm leaning toward the xi5 to replace the old Johnson troller that's still spinning. The boy tells me we need a better set up but the boats paid for and gets us out there. Good enough for now but the more I look the more I drool...