98 Johnson low circuit setting

I’m looking for input from experienced ppl plz. I have a 98 Johnson 225 HPLEEN and the manual calls for the initial setting of 5 on the low circuit. I know that #2 cylinder needs more fuel to keep temp down.
    As found
    cylinder 1: 6 1/2
    cylinder 2: 8
    cylinder 3: 5 1/2
    cylinder 4: 7
    cylinder 5: 6 1/8
    cylinder 6: 7

what do you guys think about that? Right now there all at 5. Motor idles high and doesn’t take low end throttle. I have to hold the choke in and finesse the hot foot till I get in the mid circuit and it’s all good Wot no problem. I know fuel related but first I want the settings at a good point then adjust the idle and check the timing.
    Last edited by Stratos_hand; 03-31-2020 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Needed more info

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Model number please?

3. Member
    J225HPLEEN. That probably would of helped in my initial post lol

Set all the idle adjusting screws to 6--6-1/2 turns open. If the motor does not idle or accelerate normally (in the water - NOT ON A HOSE) then there may be issues with the carbs, linkage adjustments, ignition system, or the internal health of the pistons, rings, and cylinders.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    To add, don't over look the recirc valves.

6. Member
    Recirc Valve’s are all new and powerhead is “new”. Previous owner smoked#2 so machine shop took each cylinder next size up and redressed the block. Full carb job done, the guy even put new reeds in it. Long story short whatever is happening in the low end has never been resolved. All I got told was today’s fuel and water temp on a warm or hot day will make the motor do what’s its doing. I don’t believe that cause once I get it on plane it’s a scalded ape. Im sure I need to replace the anti siphon valve as well, the primer bulb does lose prime. Thanks for the input guys I’ll set the low circuit to your suggested setting and go from there.