Thread: Seems flooded??

Banned

Seems flooded??

2005 Merc XR6. Carbs worked on last year but tech said they were in perfect condition and didn't require attention. Put new Ngk plugs in just before heading to Florida. Been here now almost 3 months and engine has been running like a "Swiss Watch" as they say. Couple of days ago, after running out to my first spot and fishing about 1/2 an hour I tried to start up and it started immediately but after about 10 seconds it died. Restarting was difficult and after cranking a while and playing with the throttle from nothing to wide open the motor will finally start and sputter and smoke like hell and only idle at high rpm's until it "clears its throat,if you will. It will then go on plane and run well until I stop and fish for a while and then I have to go through the same crap again. I checked the plugs and they look fine but I have some ordered to install just in case. I'm headed home in a couple more weeks and I'll have it checked then. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for some thing to do in the interim to minimize the aggravation factor.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    fuel pump diaphragm possible problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I had a similar issue and it ended up being a park called a tracker valve.

4. Member
    bet you had an optimax worked on , glad they didn't put um on carbed mtrs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................