Why you ALWAYS use your kill switch when underway...

2. Member
    Thanks for the reminder. I try to remember to use mine. Just old and forgetful. Be safe out there.

Part of the mental checklist before dropping the boat in. Place lifevest in driver’s seat, and fasten kill switch.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Always

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    To me it's like using the seat belt in my truck, I clip it to my left vest before I start it up. Had a good friend get thrown out of his boat and it saved him from disaster.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

6. Member
    Although I agree the kill switch should always be worn, that's not the issue in this case. If you look closely at the 17 second mark in the video, the idiot left the helm and got onto the front deck while the boat was on plane. (O.K., I'll concede that if he had his kill switch hooked up, the engine would have shut down when he pulled this bonehead move.)
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    I actually know the exact day I did not have a kill switch on. Summer in 1988 running across lake .87 champion 200 merc . cable steering back then, chopper prop, 60 mph, had a flat side tackle box next to me on floor. One hand on the throttle one hand on the wheel, tackle box starts to levitate , dumbest thing I ever did , let go of the wheel to grab the box, it turned so hard to the right it slammed me up against the left gunnel and over into the water , boat slapped me in the head. Almost knocked me out, all I said to myself is shit you gotta get up for air and fought it off. When I got to the surface , boat was gone,I said shit figured I would turn around and see it coming at me. Well I must of had a good grip on the throttle and pulled it into neutral on my way out, it was about 20 feet away , swam over and dragged my stupid ass in...………….oh by the way I forgot to tell you .no life jacket either. That was the last time I ever got in my boat without a life jacket or kill switch hooked up. Yea I know