Seastar Seal replacement and flush

I am in process of fixing a leak in my seastar ram at the outboard. I used the tool by marine tech tools. The two end caps were not too bad to remove. Once removed the two seals in the end caps were easy to install new ones. I am waiting on the fluid to arrive and will get it filled, and bled. It will help to remove the slop and leaking fluid. This repair was long overdue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by javelin90; 04-03-2020 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added picrures

You can use ATF in the unit for fluid ..
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    The only benefit of seastar fluid under normal conditions is that it's clear vs red ATF. Just replaced my seals and refilled mine with synthetic ATF. Prior to that it's been probably 8 years since originally filled with ATF.

4. Member
    I thought I had read you can use atf fluid.

5. Member
    Pictures added

6. Member
    Please explain to me what you are doing with all the hoses?
    I'm about to do mine.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

7. Member
    Hose routing,
    Ram at motor, Two hoses feed into a t-barb and then one hose (return hose) runs to the top of the open container mounted by the ladder. As the fluid leaves the ram at the motor the fluid runs though the line to the container. You can see the air bubbles exist hose at top container.

Hose from the botttom of the fluid container keeps the fluid in the lines. I loosened the bleeder valve on the port side. Turn wheel to the right slowly till the fluid leaves the ram. Then continue until you see no air bubbles.
    Close that bleeder valve. Next open up the starboard bleeder valve and turn wheel to the right slowly and continue till no air bubbles are seen leaving the hose at the top of the container.

It took longer to set the items up in the picture than the bleeding process took to do.
    Message me if i can explain it more.

8. Member
    So this would be to do a bleed to remove air and save the fluid?
    Not if you wanted to replace the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Hose routing,
    Ram at motor, Two hoses feed into a t-barb and then one hose (return hose) runs to the top of the open container mounted by the ladder. As the fluid leaves the ram at the motor the fluid runs though the line to the container. You can see the air bubbles exist hose at top container.

Hose from the botttom of the fluid container keeps the fluid in the lines. I loosened the bleeder valve on the port side. Turn wheel to the right slowly till the fluid leaves the ram. Then continue until you see no air bubbles.
    Close that bleeder valve. Next open up the starboard bleeder valve and turn wheel to the right slowly and continue till no air bubbles are seen leaving the hose at the top of the container.

It took longer to set the items up in the picture than the bleeding process took to do.
    Message me if i can explain it more.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

9. Member
    Yes To bleed the system. To flush the system you would use a separate container for the return line.